restaurants: how much
hotels maids: how much
city tours: do you and how much

Posted by
5188 posts

Carol,
Tipping is not customary in Greece.
There's no need to tip taxi drivers.
At restaurants you can round up to the nearest Euro or leave a small tip if the service was exceptional.
Hotel maids... I usually leave one or two € for them each day, but again not necessary.
I didn't take any city tours, so not sure if tipping is recommended.

Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
1353 posts

tavernas include the gratuity in the price. We too add a euro or two if the service was good.

Posted by
26 posts

Tipping not being customary is also what we heard, but in most restaurants in Athens, Meteora and Crete if you pay by Credit Card, the slip does come with a tip to be added box, just like in the US, even though service charge is included. In a few cases the waiter also made it clear that a tip was expected.

Posted by
7453 posts

I agree that generally tipping is not needed, rounding up is typical, and it avoids making change, whether at a taxi or restaurant. Hotel Maids? I do not recall ever leaving a tip, in Greece, elsewhere in Europe, Mexico, or even in the US.

For tour guides, you are obviously a tourist at that point and many expect a tip, though again, not mandatory, a euro or two would be fine.

It is true though that if you eat in the more touristed places, the staff may expect or even hustle you for a tip. A parallel example recently was in Berlin, bill came, all in German, except for the phrase "Service Not Included" in English, and circled in ink by the waiter. I am sure that the locals tipped as I did (if they tipped) by rounding up, maybe an extra euro or two...though I am sure the waiter would have loved me leaving 10 to 20%. Not being mean, just not being played.