Please sign in to post.

Tipping in Greece

What’s the tipping etiquette for taxis, personal tour guides (not group), and restaurants? I have a 7 hour and 2 hour private tour for 2 people. Thanks!

Posted by
1796 posts

In tourist areas in summer many people (Greek or non-Greek) come to work in hotels, restaurants, etc.
Those who are in contact with customers hope to improve their salary with tips (the average monthly salary in Greece is less than 800€) But there is no particular rule for tips. It's up to you and it will depend on your satisfaction with the service provided.

Some people think that you shouldn't give anything, others think that it's an obligation.

Personally if for example a taxi ride costs 28€ or 29€, I give 30€ to the driver
I also always leave a few euros (between 2 and 5) in restaurants unless the meal or/and the service were bad.

For personal tour guides if you are satisfied you can leave 10% or even 20% of the price of the tour or/and invite your guide for a drink

If the guide was incompetent and unpleasant, you say goodbye and leave.

Posted by
985 posts

In Europe the staff in the hospitality industry are paid what is supposed to be enough. In North America or at least in Canada, the USA, and Mexico, the staff in the hospitality industry are paid base wages that are not supposed to be enough and then the staff are expected to earn the difference from tips. If you give tips in Europe you will look like a fool or worse. Or the staff will think you are suggesting that they picked the wrong profession. Many tourists from North America don't know, don't care, or don't understand this and insist on tipping. Resist all urges to give or leave tips in Greece or any country in Europe. Do not leave or give any tips.

The exception is that on a "free tour", if the tour guide doesn't require payment, at the end you really need to give the guide a tip. I would give the guide at least 11-20 Euros.

Posted by
15576 posts

Frank II, I looked at the link. It seems to have an anonymous author. So why is s/he someone to listen to?

(I really am not trying to be snarky)

Greece does not have the tipping culture of USA but is expected. Yes.

In some places you can include the tip when you pay through POS but mostly is just paying it extra in cash.