Please sign in to post.

Tipping in Greece

I’d like to know what’s expected for tipping on a private day tour in Naxos, or private boat trips in Santorini and Crete. Thanks!

Posted by
5273 posts

Personally if I've paid for the tour then there's no extra money forthcoming from me. However if you still insist on tipping then €5 to €10 would suffice.

Posted by
812 posts

I realize that tipping is part of the culture in America, but that is not necessarily the case in other parts of the world. Just because a tip is not necessary, or expected doesn't give people a pass to not tip if they have received excellent service. (just my opinion) We have used the services of private guides all over Europe and the absolute bare minimum tip was 10%. In most cases it has been 15% and sometimes 20%. If I can afford to hire a private guide, then I can afford to tip them assuming the service was commensurate with my expectation of the experience. The idea of giving them a measly 5 or 10 euros? That's insulting.

Posted by
5273 posts

The guides set their prices, you're paying for a service so why should you pay more? Do you overpay for your grocery shopping simply because you can afford to? 20% of what can be several hundred Euros is obscene and serves only to forment discord amongst locals and other tourists who are more and more often being expected to tip like Americans do.

Please leave your tipping practices at home amd respect the norms of the country you're visiting.

Posted by
1823 posts

Even if it is not for the same reasons as in the USA, tipping is a common thing in Greece, however it is not an obligation and nobody will blame you if you do not tip.

In restaurants, only the staff accustomed to American tourists could be disappointed (too bad for them) if you don't tip like you do in the USA.

The amount of the tip is at your discretion. If you really enjoyed a private guided tour, you can tip 10% or more.

And it is true that tipping €5 for a €200 service could be insulting. In this case, don't give anything

Posted by
5273 posts

tipping is a common thing in Greece

Yes but it consists of the rounding up of the bill sort not an arbitrary percentage.

Posted by
1823 posts

it consists of the rounding up of the bill sort not an arbitrary
percentage.

Absolutely true in restaurants, cafes or taxis

Posted by
812 posts

In no way, does tipping equate to being disrespectful to a country's norms. Rather, it is just good manners and showing appreciation to those people who work in the service industry be it a guide, server, housekeeper, taxi driver etc.

Posted by
777 posts

I've been researching private and small group guided tours in Greece, looking at a number of different websites. The FAQs often address this. The websites I have seen don't specify an amount, but make it clear that tipping a guide or driver is welcome.

Posted by
5273 posts

In no way, does tipping equate to being disrespectful to a country's norms.

So when it drives the expectation for tips when typically there was none how is it not disrespectful to a country's norms?

We're witnessing the American tipping culture creep more and more into Europe and it's not wanted. People often state that tips are welcomed by guides, workers etc but of course they are, who's not going to welcome free money? But that doesn't mean that it's an accepted practice and it's not welcomed by other tourists who face an expectation to tip along the same lines.

As I've said. Private tour prices are set by the guides and they're not going to be doing them for a sub par rate. There's no requirement or expectation to tip (other than if you're American) so don't feel that there's an obligation to.

Posted by
1823 posts

We're witnessing the American tipping culture creep more and more into
Europe and it's not wanted.

Without wishing to argue, I should point out that the culture of tipping has existed throughout Europe since at least the 17th century, long before the arrival of the first American tourists.

The equivalent of the word "tip" is the same in almost all the languages ​​of European countries and has the same origin which refers to a drink offered to thank a quality service.

So if you tip you won't bring anything new to local customs

Posted by
777 posts

I remember tips being given for guided tours from back in the 1980s. The Europeans were tipping as well as the Americans and Asians.

Posted by
5273 posts

I should point out that the culture of tipping has existed throughout Europe since at least the 17th century

I wrote the American tipping culture which is the excessive tipping routinely based on a percentage of the bill. I'm not debating the origins of tipping or claiming that it doesn't exist in Europe, of course it does but it's pretty much based on rounding the bill up which usually consists of a handful of coins. Expecting to pay 10%, 15% or even 20% on a bill is an American practice which is steadily creeping into Europe.