Please sign in to post.

tipping in Greece

Anyone familiar with travel in Greece I am looking for any input on appropriate tipping for taxi rides to/from airport in Athens and then also on islands if that is different, resturants? Also is there storage for rolling carry on bag at Athens Airport and if so how long can you rent for such as a day, a few days? Would like to store at airport and then just take a backpack to island. thank you for any info/tips on these subjects.

Posted by
3317 posts

TIPPING - Not necessary to tip in TAXI, but if you get a lot of help with bags, maybe. RESTAURANTS - you just "round up" to the nearest Euro, or more if it's a large party, if good service. I would advise to go to Google and just put in "tipping in Greece" and you get 10-15 excellent suggestions also some "threads" by travelers. STORAGE: Yes there is storage at the airport but if you leave something for many days, it could be very costly. It would help if you gave more information. Are you planning to land from USA, immediately check a big bag, and then get on a domestic flight for a few days? Or will you be staying in Athens at a hotel, THEN going to airport, and taking domestic flight? If it is the latter, you can more easily make arrangements at the hotel. We cannot give you the best advice with such minimal info.

Posted by
156 posts

Appreciate your information Janet. At the end of 2 weeks in Greece mainland plan to fly to island and spend 2 nights and then fly back to Athens and then on to Istanbul.

Posted by
3317 posts

Carol, it's still not clear if you will be IN Central Athens both before AND after your island visit. If so, you probably could store your bag for €10 or so at several places. If you are only going to be at the airport, the most reasonable place I found at the airport was http://www.care4bag.gr It lists 48 hours @ 13.50 for "Medium" bag (it gives dimensions in metric, you can convert) and 17 for "large." There are others, higher at Airport, also lockers in central Athens. BTW, I found these by simply using "google" for "Athens luggage storage." I recommend you try google first for most inquiries like this, not ones involving opinions.

Posted by
156 posts

Janet thank you again for your information. I did check out the link and will utilize the storage service as when i fly back to Athens i will then fly directly to Istanbul later in the day so wont be leaving airport.