Please sign in to post.

Time in Greece

I am going to be able to be in Greece from 23rd of April to the 27th. Should I just stay in Athens or would I be able to stay the 23rd and 24th there leave the 25th and then spend the 26th in Santorini leaving the 27th? Or should I look at something else to do in Europe? I have yet to travel to Greece and was planning this trip to just be a taste. For information I did the Europe in 21 days tour so I am used to only a couple of days to hit highlights but didn't know if this would be practical?

Posted by
2455 posts

There’s lots to see and do in Athens, and also on Santorini, but the travel between the two would use up a lot of your time. I would limit my travel to one or the other, especially Athens, and maybe, just maybe, include a just day trip to someplace beyond.

Posted by
169 posts

Any recommendations for a day trip? I had planned on flying into Athens, then into Santorini and then from Santorini to Gatwick, in London.

Posted by
26840 posts

Wherever you decide to head, put your Athens time at the end of your trip so you're sure not to miss your flight out of Greece.

Posted by
169 posts

The flight I am looking at out of Greece is a non-stop between Santorini and London.

Posted by
26840 posts

Aah, in that case you wouldn't be worried about a connection in Athens. Are you then flying out of London back to the US or Canada? Same day or some days later?

Posted by
3200 posts

If I understand this correctly, you arrive on the 23rd and leave on the 27th. This means you only have 3 full days in Greece. If this is correct, I suggest you stay in Athens as there is much to see and people to enjoy. Three days is not much time for a major city. I was there for 4 days and there was still much to see. Relax and just enjoy Athens. Come back another time for sufficient time on the islands. Should you actually get bored in Athens, take a day trip to Delphi, but I can't imagine why that would happen.

Posted by
169 posts

I am staying in England for two days after I fly in then back to the states from there. I have been thinking and I could rearrange some stuff and leave the states on the 18th flying into Greece and then stay in Greece from 19th to the 27th. Would just staying in Athens and then a couple days on Santorini be a good idea or is there a better place to go? I am interested in history. I loved the "ruins" in Rome and wandering the streets in Venice and Florence. Museums are nice as well. I will say I can get bored easily. My first trip to Europe I spent three nights in Dublin, so two and a half days, one night in Cardiff, two nights in Dover, three days in Budapest, and then did the 21 days in Europe so I got used to only a couple of nights in a town at most. I won't be renting a car and traveling solo.

Posted by
3312 posts

Katsrad, maybe I'm slow but it's still not quite clear -- are you now proposing to arrive in Greece the 19th, staying until April 27th, then flying to England for 2 days then back to US? OK, I get it that you bore easily and are used to moving around fast. one thing that's different in from your Previous zip-zip-zip approach to elsewhere in Europe -- in Greece it's harder & more time-consuming. Sounds as if you did trains & planes before -- In Greece, no trains & planes don't go everywhere & are fewer, especially off-season (Greece really just wakes up late May and doesn't have frequent schedules til mid-June). Ferries & busses take time. Thus, best to strategize.
I deduce (tho u don't say) that you'll come from Texas; if time is a consideration, try to book a route (via NY, PHL or Canada) that flies nonstop from N. America, thus arrives 9 - 10 AM in ATH airport. Then get soonest available flite to Santorini (allow 2-hr window). IMHO, 48 hrs off-season is plenty for Santorini -- it's really all about the Caldera View, and -- if you are an Ancient History buff -- the "buried town" of Akrotiri. If not planning car rental think about staying at least Near Fira Town (Firostephani has cliffside-view rooms, is on Fira's N. fringe, thus walkable to town highlights, but w.o. the daily cruise crowds). Check out the good small museum, take a bus to Akrotiri, have a sunset dinner, Then fly back to ATH airport (50 mins vs. 9+ hours on ferry).
With about 6 days left, you could devote 3 days to the Major Highlights of Athens (too many to list here), and do a 3-day/2 night visit to the Most Beautiful Old Town in Greece -- Nafplio ... 2.5 hrs away by reserved-seat intercity (KTEL) bus on modern highway, but feels like a world away. On a peninsula in the Peloponnese, surrounded by water, Gorgeous Italianate architecture, THREE castles/forts, in the bay & atop the town, tons of historic... and a Marble-paved Town square. Who could ask for more? Savvy Athenians love this as a weekend getaway, but going on a Wed or Thurs, you can get a nice room as a walk-up. Here, some pix to visualize its delights - https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/sets/72157632094108982/ This superb NONcommercial site -- http://www.visitnafplio.com -- tells ALL, including what bus to catch! click every link, then GO.

Posted by
169 posts

You are not slow. I am still in the planning stages and I think this is causing the problems. What you are saying makes sense. I am actually flying from Kansas but know I won't get a direct flight until later. My only set dates are 4/27-4/29 in Kent, England. I appreciate giving me an idea of where to stay I had no idea.

The big thing with planning this is that I have about 8/9 days (not counting weekends) that I can take off work. So including two weekends I would have about 11 days (I didn't include the days that I am flying from or to the US.)

Questions I have:

1. Greece is safe for a solo traveler, correct (I haven't heard anything but some places are better than others for solo travel)?

2. Would renting a car be better or make more sense or is the public transit or walkability in Athens, Santorini ok?

3. Besides Athens and Santorini is there any where I should go? Or skip one of those and go to instead?

4. Is 6/7 days in Greece do-able and worth it or should I stay in England?

Posted by
1152 posts

Number 1: Greece is one of the safest countries in the world whether you go solo or with others. Obviously one has to use common sense anywhere you go but for the most part you'll be fine.

Number 2: NEVER drive in Athens. Even walking across a street can be a challenge! Athens is very walkable . . . in fact it's the best way to explore the city. I'm not sure about Santorini since I've never been there but walking is probably a good option. I think there is decent bus service so hopefully someone can help.

Number 3: Depends on how much time you have. Athens deserves a minimum of three days to fully explore and experience what the city offers. Santorini would not be my first choice but it all depends on what you are looking for. Lots of other options for islands so more research would be recommended.

Number 4: 6-7 days isn't enough . . . especially if you are splitting up your time. However, 3 in Athens then 3 on an island would work.

Posted by
169 posts

Number 3: Depends on how much time you have. Athens deserves a minimum of three days to fully explore and experience what the city offers. Santorini would not be my first choice but it all depends on what you are looking for. Lots of other options for islands so more research would be recommended.

So, if Santorini is not your first choice, what would be? I really like the picturesqueness (is that a word?) of the island. I was thinking Rhodes before because of the history but wasn't sure.

Posted by
1152 posts

Since I've never been to Santorini I am basing my recommendation due to Santorini being one of the most popular, heavily touristed and expensive islands to go to in Greece. That doesn't mean it isn't worth going to and you won't have a wonderful time. If you have your heart set on Santorini by all means go, but make sure you are going for what you want and not what travel agents, glossy magazines and websites tell you to go for.

Some very beautiful islands I've been to include: Naxos, Sifnos, Milos, Amorgos, Tinos, Astypalea, Chios, not to mention one of Greece's most beautiful towns, Nafplio in the Peloponnese Peninsula.

There are many Greek Islands to go to . . . you will have to do more research and see what else is out there that can give you a wonderful Greek Experience.

Everyone has their own ideas of what they want for a Greek Island Experience. Mine may be different than yours but in the end do what's good for you.

Regardless . . . you'll have a wonderful time just about anywhere in Greece!