Please sign in to post.

Strike?

Hello everyone,

I am currently in Santorini and leaving for Athens tomorrow. I am hearing there may be an airline and ferry strike tomorrow.

Just wondering if anyone knows any info or has experienced this?

Thank you!
Danielle

Posted by
1819 posts

Yes, there will be a 24 hour strike tomorrow Thursday 21 st

It will impact transport, flights, ferries, and other public transports
Contact a ferry ticket sales office in Santorini if you have a ferry trip, or your airline if it's a flight.

https://news.gtp.gr/2023/09/20/strikes-work-stoppages-in-greece-to-affect-air-and-ferry-travel-sept-21/

EDIT: here is an update regarding Air traffic Control:

UPDATE (6pm, Sept. 20)
:
The strike action announced by the Greek Air Traffic Controllers’ Association was deemed “illegal and abusive” by the Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority (HCAA) and the Greek Transport Ministry and therefore has been cancelled.

Flights on Thursday will take place normally.

Posted by
54 posts

Thank you sooo much for this information. I am wondering where I can see the “UPDATE (6pm, Sept. 20)” that you are referencing?

Posted by
54 posts

Hi JoLui!

This is incredibly helpful. I can’t thank you enough. What a wonderful forum this is.

Thank you again!!

Best,
Danielle

Posted by
1819 posts

The strike had been announced for several days, I almost created a post to report it...but I forgot... :-))

Since there will also be a public transport strike, expect a big mess if you have to go to Athens from the airport

Posted by
54 posts

Ah I see. Glad I didn’t know I guess or I would have thought about it all during our vacation haha! :)

And thank you for the warning on the transportation. We will be using a private car from the airport to our hotel in Athens.I am sure there will be a lot of traffic but that’s ok!

Thank you again!
Danielle :)

Posted by
31 posts

Our BlueStar ferry from Santorini to Naxos for tomorrow was canceled. I didn’t see it in the press release, but we did receive an email and text from them advising us. Luckily, we were able to book a Seajet ferry.

Posted by
1819 posts

grmurphy: Be prepared to see a real mess at Santorini port to board the Seajets.