Please sign in to post.

Spring 2022: Rick Steves Athens and the Heart of Greece 14 day tour

Arriving a few days in Athens before the Rick Steves 14 day tour begins.
Any suggestions on viewing sights or experiences in Athens not covered in by the Rick Steves 14 day tour?

Thank you.

Posted by
548 posts

The tour focuses on the Acropolis and the Acropolis museum for the one full day you spend there. So everything else will need to be seen on your own. The Plaka, Agora, the Olympic stadium, Hadrian’s arch, temple of Olympian Zeus, changing of the guard at Syntagma square- all should be explored and are definitely worth seeing.

Posted by
3183 posts

Definitely check out his audio walking tour of the city! It was awesome and took us places we would not have found on our own.

Posted by
3039 posts

DO NOT OMIT the National Archeological Museum, which is chock-a-block filled with amazing sculpture and things you have seen in books and movies, but there it is in real life. Also we enjoyed the Byzantine and Christian Museum, 3-4 blocks from Syntegma Square. There are many other museums.

Posted by
548 posts

You will see the Archeological museum on the last day of your tour. Unless you want additional time there, you could focus on other museums or sights when on your own.

Posted by
3 posts

From the moment I was in contact with Faye about my upcoming trip to Greece, she was extremely knowledgeable and accessible in helping me plan where I wanted to go in Greece. (Rick Steve’s trip was cancelled due to Covid). Every suggestion and recommendation she had was excellent and helped me navigate efficiently and joyfully through Athens. From her extensive knowledge of archeology and history, she fast- tracked all the important information that I needed to know without reading every placard in the Acropolis Museum. It can be overwhelming to be in Athens in the summer heat, but enthusiastically and energetically, Faye lead me to the great sites and her guidance was invaluable!! I would beyond recommend this classy lady to guide me wherever I wanted to explore in Greece! Do yourself a favor and just trust her guidance. She knows what she is doing! From finding a shady spot at the Acropolis so she could go into more detail about a marble sculpture- to how to get to the airport: Faye is who you want by your side in Greece. I would highly recommend this guide. From the moment I was in contact with Faye about my upcoming trip to Greece, she was extremely knowledgeable and accessible in helping me plan where I wanted to go in Greece. (Rick Steve’s trip was cancelled due to Covid). Every suggestion and recommendation she had was excellent and helped me navigate efficiently and joyfully through Athens. From her extensive knowledge of archeology and history, she fast- tracked all the important information that I needed to know without reading every placard in the Acropolis Museum. It can be overwhelming to be in Athens in the summer heat, but enthusiastically and energetically, Faye lead me to the great sites and her guidance was invaluable!! I would beyond recommend this classy lady to guide me wherever I wanted to explore in Greece! Do yourself a favor and just trust her guidance. She knows what she is doing! From finding a shady spot at the Acropolis so she could go into more detail about a marble sculpture- to how to get to the airport: Faye is who you want by your side in Greece. I would highly recommend this guide. fayegeorgiou@yahoo.gr

Posted by
3312 posts

We are glad you had such a good experience, thanks to a knowledgeable guide. However, in order for people to know whether they can afford her services, if they are on a tight budget, it is considerate to include information about her fees, for 2 persons, or for a larger group. Too often, people give rave reviews on forums for hotels, tours, etc, without giving a price tag, leading to high hopes and big letdowns for others with leaner means. Please share!

Posted by
2168 posts

When we did this tour, the ticket that got us into the Acropolis was a combo ticket that we used later in the afternoon to visit the Agora complex. I can’t tell if that is still the case, so you might want to call or email RS. We used our pre-tour time to walk the small alleyways of Anifiotika, as well as the Olympic stadium, Syntagma Square and the gardens and areas around the palace. They used to have a special changing of the guard ceremony on Sundays at Syntagma Square.

Posted by
1152 posts

There is so much more about Athens that you won't get from Steve's tour.

Athens just isn't about the archeological/historic sites. It's a vibrant city warts and all and you should take the time to explore all the nooks and crannies that the city has to offer!

Check out this website:

https://www.athensguide.com/