My husband and I are leaving for our honeymoon in less than a month - and we still need to figure out the last week of our trip! There are so many wonderful things to do in Greece, I am paralyzed with all of the options. We are in our early 30's and are looking for a good mix of history, romance, as well as getting slightly off the beaten track without missing must-sees!
Here is what we have so far:
- Monday, Sept 4th: Arrive Athens from Newark, rent car, head straight to Delphi for overnight.
- Tuesday, Sept 5th: Visit Delphi in the morning, drive to Corinth via Patras (possibly spend the afternoon at Achaia Clauss winery) and overnight in Xylokastro outside of Corinth
- Wednesday, Sept 6th: Spend the morning seeing Corinth and then drive to Nafplio for overnight
- Thursday, Sept 7th: Nafplio, again!
- Friday, Sept 8th: Mystras/Sparta for the day with an overnight in Gythio
- Saturday, Sept 9th: Explore the Mani and overnight at Tainaron Blue Resort
- Sunday, Sept 10th until Friday afternoon, Sept 15th: TBD
- Friday night until Monday, Sept 18th for 5:30pm departure: Athens
With my 5 days in the middle, I have a few decisions to make and here are the questions that I am considering while making them:
- Question 1: As of now, we are considering between spending the bulk of our time on Folegandros or Naxos. I personally have been looking for authenticity, beauty, and romance. Folegandros seems to have the wow factor for me, but I'm also making general assumptions based on photos. My husband seems to be more drawn to Naxos for the mix of beaches, relaxation, and more sites. Would Naxos make an ideal honeymoon destination?
- Question 2: We want to fly out of Athens when returning from the Pelopnnesus to ease the process of dropping off the rental car, but are open to ferrying back. Obviously, for Folegandros, this would mean flying to Santorini to spend a night or two, before heading to there. Is it worth splitting islands with such a short time frame? Our Naxos option could potentially mean flying into Naxos, ferry to Santorini, and then fly back to Athens.
- Question 3: Do we spend an extra night on the Peloponnesus to see Monemvasia, before heading back to Athens for a flight to an island. This would give us T-F on an island.
- Question 3b: If we are keeping Monemvasia, is it worth considering an island overnight on Friday as well and leaving for Athens early Saturday? I don't want to give Athens the short end of the stick, but I want enough breathing room for everything! Athens will always be our gateway to Greece since we are traveling from the US.
Thank you in advance for reading my long narrative!