Please sign in to post.

Seeing the Monasteries at the end of Sept 2023

We will be staying 3 nights in Kalabaka Greece, we leave Athens Friday morning arriving by train Friday pm. I have scheduled a sunset tour for us on Friday.

Question should we hire a private tour guide to see the monasteries for Saturday/Sunday or do it on our own? We do luv to hike.

Posted by
4128 posts

There’s no right or wrong answer. The monasteries are easy to see on your own but check their websites to see which ones are open on which days and at what times, so that you don’t waste your time. However I have had a car when I was there. There would be a lot of hiking involved - but I saw plenty of people doing it.

You could also hire a taxi - I also saw that. Kalambaka is still quite a ways away with no car - Kastraki is right at the base.

Posted by
2077 posts

We did it on our own after checking in town for a tour. We rented a car in town and it’s very easy to do. O your own. We also took the train from Athens and back.

Posted by
46 posts

Thank YOU both for your your replies! I appreciate your comments! This is exactly what I needed to hear. It doesn't matter, either way is good! Since we sometimes (weekly) hike 11 miles a day, at an elevation of 7,000 ft, note in Ruidoso NM, I think we can handle the hike. Plus I have checked when the the monasteries are open, and I believe Saturday and Sunday they are open! Wow, I just saved us about $400.00. We will be in Greece for a month so I'm sure we can find another use for that $!!!!!! Or not! Thank you!

Posted by
4128 posts

I would still suggest staying in Kastraki if possible. It would make heading out to hike so much easier.

Posted by
46 posts

Thank you, for your suggestion.
Unfortunately I made our reservations for the Doupiani House based on Rick Steves referral at the beginning of 2023. Because we hike 6 to 11 miles twice a week at 7,000' elevation, I'm think we might be okay. Plus being in nature is the best therapy to unwind! I guess we will find out in Sept/Oct when we are there. We always have the option to take a taxi up and then hike down. Thank you for your help!

Posted by
4128 posts

Well the good news is that Doupiani House is actually in Kastraki - not Kalabaka. :) You will be set!

Posted by
46 posts

Great! Thanks for confirming the location. I planned our trip so long ago that I'm trying to remember the 15 days I planned on my own. Lots to learn and remember, LOL. Thank you!