Please sign in to post.

Santorini in October

We are going to Santorini October 8th to the 12th. It will be myself , my sister and my niece. Im looking for hotel recommendations that are centrally located on the island with some good views of the caldera. I have also heard that many businesses will be closed this time of year, will this be and issue with restaurants or tours?
If you have any good restaurant recommendations or any attraction we shouldn’t miss please let me know!

Posted by
2 posts

Hello!

This is Gabe from the Rick Steves' Europe Travel Center! We actually have a section in our Greece: Athens and the Peloponnese guidebook dedicated just to hotels with views of the Caldera!

Here are a couple of our favorites:

Villa Renos
telephone: 22860-22369
email: hrenos@otenet.gr

Studios Caldera
telephone: 22860-25166
email: calderastudios2010@gmail.com

Finally, it is possible that some restaurants will close during the off-season, particularly those near the Orthodox cathedral. However, you should still be able to find some good options in the Old Town that operate at full or reduced hours in October. In particular, we recommend The Ouzerie and Mama's House.

Finally, if you're looking for a fun day trip, Rick really likes the Akrotiri Archaeological Site, which is just a short 30-minute bus ride from Fira.

I hope that helps and that you have a fantastic trip!

Posted by
3118 posts

Gabe, your link to Studios Caldera is no longer active, which makes me wonder if Studios Caldera is still operating.

Ssimons: The tourist season on Santorini now extends into November. Early October will still be quite busy., especially in the central village of Fira, the island's social/commercial hub. True, not as busy as it is in the summer months, but that's actually a blessing in disguise. Almost all shops, galleries and restaurants will still be up an running then. They typically don't start closing until the end of October.

In Fira I recommend you visit the Museum of Prehistoric Thera, and if you're interested go up the mountain between Kamari Beach and Perissa Beach to the archaeological site of Ancient Thera. There's a road most of the way to the site from the Kamari side of the mountain, followed by a hike of about 20 minutes.

Have a meal at Metaxi Mas in Exo Gonia and be sure to visit Amoudi Bay below Oia for lunch at one of the fish tavernas there. In Fira try Argo restaurant for a great meal with a view of the caldera.

Posted by
1362 posts

I can confirm Lees comment. we were in Santorini early October and it was still quite busy. Our hotel owner told us the season now continues to be busy till the end of October.