Please sign in to post.

Santorini

Does Royal Caribbean dock first at a port in Santorini where they let off the Excursion passengers before they tender the rest of the passengers in to Old Town where they have to climb the mountain, ride donkeys or take the tram?
We have a family of 10 that would like to avoid Ferra and just head to Oia. What are our options if coming into port on Royal Caribbean.

Posted by
11176 posts

Why not ask Royal Caribbean about what their procedure is?

Posted by
5259 posts

If you're intending to ride the donkeys can I urge that you reconsider. Those poor animals are mistreated and forced to endure the daily task of carrying people (often overweight and heavier than the donkey) up and down the steep paths all day and often in the intense heat. Their harnesses are often ill fitting leading to sores and lesions and they are regularly seen being beaten by their owners. There's no need to ride a donkey, you can use the cable cars to get up the mountain, it is nothing more than animal abuse for people's pleasure.

Posted by
3122 posts

The cruise ships don't dock. All passengers, regardless of their status, are tendered ashore. Excursion passengers go to the ferry port, Athinios where the tour buses are waiting, while independents go to Skala, the old port below Fira. The good news is that there is a water taxi from Skala to Amoudi Bay below Oia for about €20 per passenger. Once ashore at Amoudi you will take a shuttle van up the cliff to the Oia bus square. The €20 includes a bus ticket back to Fira where you will have to take the cable car down the steps, or walk them. Be advised that the steps, over 600 of them, are often covered with donkey poo and urine. Please don't be tempted to ride the poor abused donkeys! And no, there is no return to Skala by water taxi. It's only available from Skala to Amoudi Bay. I have been informed that now it may be possible for you to purchase your water taxi tickets at a slightly higher fare aboard your cruise ship but have no way to confirm that.

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks for the info.

I have contacted RC and no one seems to know if our family can get off at the Ferry Port so we can be pick up by the Hotel Shuttle where we will be spending the day? Or possibly just grab a taxi to Oia. Has anyone tried this?

Posted by
8293 posts

Have you tried asking your question on Cruise Critic? If not, do so, and shame on Royal Caribbean for not knowing how to help you. I would have asked to speak to a supervisor.

Posted by
3122 posts

This question has been asked many times before. So far the answer has been NO, you can't go ashore to the ferry port unless you have signed up for one of the ship's excursions. Unless this policy has changed the water taxi is by far your best option for going to Oia.