Please sign in to post.

Samaria Gorge

Hi,

I'm in Chania and wanting to go to the gorge. Has anybody gone to it by bus. Site read you have to take a bus to Sougia then a ferry, but I'm having trouble finding a bus to there.

Any suggestions?

Posted by
2639 posts

https://www.kimkim.com/c/ultimate-guide-to-samaria-gorge
you have to take a bus to Omalos and start the hike from there , read the info from the link posted for lots of info and there are links to companies that can arrange buses , ferry then bus (it is the only way ) to and from Chania. I last did the walk about 10 years ago but that was with a private walking group and we had use of a mini bus a driver for uor trip who took us to the start and picked us up at the feery dock.
remember this is not a stroll , the paths apart from at the beginning and end can be very rough , it can get hot and there are no places to buy food or drinks on the walk,there are water points where you can fill up your bottle but as we found late in the season the lower water point was almost dry, we used about 3 liters of water each on the walk.the Gorge is closed from the end of october till may .