Please sign in to post.

Recommended Hotels for Athens in Fall 2015

Many of the hotel suggestions on this forum seem a bit dated so looking for current suggestions. We prefer convenient to walk out the door for sightseeing location and "Europe through Back Door" type places as we've stayed when on RSETBD tours in past. Some friends we will be connecting with in Athens will likely be staying at the Hilton so if any suggested lodging options are nearby that would be a plus too. Thanks!

Posted by
3115 posts

I recommend to you the following website where you can plug in your travel dates and hotel budget to see what will be available to you then. Each possibility also provides a map so you can determine where in Central Athens it is in relation to the Hilton.

http://www.tinyurl.com/l7dl9xv

Posted by
2023 posts

We liked Hotel Plaka in the Plaka area of Athens. It is well located for sightseeing and there is a roof top terrace with wonderful views of the Acropolis and it is just a short walk to get there. There are lots of restaurants in that area below the Acropolis. Some of those larger chain hotels that are four/five stars are not in the best area.

Posted by
1152 posts

Our favorite place to stay is the Attalos Hotel on Athinas St., one of the best budget accommodations in Athens. It's clean, safe, and centrally located and has one of the best roof-top bars in Athens with outstanding views of the Acropolis, Lycabettus Hill and all of Athens. Just a short walk to the Central Markets, Monistiraki Sq., Plaka, Acropolis and just about everywhere one goes to Athens for. I'm sure there are other comparable accommodations in Athens but for price, safety, location & 24-hour reception it's my go-to place in Athens. In fact we are booked for an Oct. 2015 stay at the Attalos!

Posted by
8293 posts

I second Susan's recommendation of the Hotel Plaka. Loved the roof top terrace and there are many restaurants close by. We ate one night at one where the owner had lived a few years in Australia and so he spoke English with a strong Aussie accent. It was a little bizarre to hear that in Athens.

Posted by
4637 posts

We stayed in Electra Palace Hotel in Plaka right under Acropolis. It was few years ago and also in the fall. Price was around $140. I can strongly recommend the hotel.

Posted by
3115 posts

The east side of the Acropolis, either the Plaka district to the north or the southeast area behind the Akropoli Metro Station are definitely more convenient for sight seeing and shopping, but neither are handy to the Hilton. I did a search and I think the closest hotel to the Hilton is the Best Western Ilisia Hotel. The Megaron Moussikis Metro Station is close to the Ilisia. Another hotel fairly close to the Hilton is the Divani Caravel but it's further from the Megaron Moussikis Metro Station.

Posted by
3312 posts

Why not have your friends staying at the Hilton meet you someplace in Plaka area .... since they'll have to come to Plaka district anyway to do their sightseeing??

Posted by
2020 posts

One year ago this October we stayed at the Philippos Hotel in Athens for several nights and were very happy. It is a five minute walk to the Acropolis metro station and museum, on a quiet residential street. Restaurants, ATMS all very close by. Our double room was reasonably priced, well kept and had a large balcony. The breakfast was a varied Greek buffet style served by a smiling hostess who never hesitated to hand me the morning's first pot of coffee to take bck to the room. All the staff were helpful and friendly; they held our luggage in a secure area for two nights when we went to Nafplio before returning for one more night prior to our cruise. High marks on all counts. Have a great trip.