Group of 10 (two families with 5 young adult children and 1 teenager) have booked a cruise next June which ends starts at Rome and ends at Piraeus. Cruise ports within Greece includes Mikonos and Santorini . Our two families would like to extend our trip by an additional 5 nights before heading back to Athens to fly home. We are looking at the Naxos given its proximity and recommendations on this forum -- we are looking for islands within a 2 hours ferry ride out of Piraeus -- so open to other recommendations as well.
We are looking for a cute town, beautiful beaches, water activities, dining and pubs --with at least dining/pubs preferably walkable from where we are staying (is this possible?)
1) Where is the best part of the island to stay? Would love recommendations for lodging -- with our group size we realize we will need to rent two apartments.
2) Is car rental recommended or a necessity?
3) How does one get around the island if you don't have a car?
4) Is there a "must see" list for Naxos?
5) Any other islands we should consider?