Please sign in to post.

Re: Hotel Recommendations

Hello,
My husband and I will be traveling in early/mid May with my 20 year-old daughter and her friend. We will be visiting Athens, Santorini and Naxos. I contacted a travel agent and she recommended these hotels: Divani Palace Acropolis (Athens), Majestic Hotel (Fira) and 18 Grapes Hotel (Naxos). Has anyone stayed at any of these hotels and can you give me feedback about them? I want to stay in areas that the girls can navigate safely on their own to go shopping, out to eat and to a club. We tend to mostly walk when we travel versus taking taxis or public transportation so we like to be close to sightseeing places and shops/restaurants. Thank you for any guidance!

Posted by
3122 posts

Although the Majestic is technically in Fira, it's nowhere near the shops, galleries, cafes, bars and restaurants. Take a look at the Hotel Thireas and Katikies Garden Hotel.

Posted by
11156 posts

Curious, is the travel agent based in Greece? We used an agent in Athens and another on Crete. Good strategy.
The Athens hotel is a good location.
Santorini hotel, lots of steps up and down?

Posted by
3320 posts

I agree that you're better off with a Greece-based agent ... hate to be suspicious, but your agent may be influenced by the commissions involved.

SANTORINI - if you want a location that's an easy walk for shopping, clubs etc, yet out of the hubbub, I favor Firostephani. This area is the North fringe of Fira, many fine clliff-edge hotels with sea & sunset views, an easy wall along the rimside path to the attractions of Fira .. but avoids the huge throngs from the cruise ships and package-tours.

NAXOS - As for 18 grapes... Google Maps shows that it's not ON Ag. Prokopios beach, but quite a distance up the big access road you must walk down this road (dodging traffic, no sidewalks) to reach the sands. Also, In early May, the southwest beaches haven't "woken up" quite yet... fine by day but dead at night. You'd be better off staying at the beach adjacent to the port town -- Ag. Giorgios (St George) beach. Many pleasant smaller hotels with seaview balconies... and an easy 10-15 minute walk along the shoreline to clubs, shops, cafes etc of Naxos town.

Posted by
64 posts

Thank you for the responses! I haven’t been comfortable with her recommendations. :-( Can anyone recommend a Greek travel agent that you have used?

Posted by
3320 posts

There are 3 agencies that are well-known for dealing well with N. Americans via email ... based in Athens, so that if any glitch occurs, they can be on it instantly... i.e., hotel problem, ferry or plane cancellation etc.

They are Dolphin-Hellas, Fantasy Travel, and Aegean Thesaurus. No need to specify an individual staffer... each one has numerous adept agents. I suggest you contact all 3 ... giv e your EXACT dates, your "wish list" of destinations... and also gtive a budget range per night for accommdations. TIP: you dont need to look for a triple, nor should you, on the islands there are numerous lodgings that have handy "1 BR studio units" that have a BR for 2, plus a larger main room that has 1-2 "daybeds," plus a kitchenette or kitchen "nook" and table chairs.

Posted by
64 posts

Thank you! I think i will contact one of the travel agencies that Janet recommended.

Posted by
3320 posts

Why not contact all 3, with identical information... and see which answers most promptly, and you can compare what they suggest, in terms of convenience and price. That's the smart strategy... get comparison before choosing.

BTW, you will save by turning down the offer of "transfer" from airport to hotel or hotel to ferry.. This is usually an inflated price for simply arranging for a taxi. To or from ATH Airport to a central Athens hotel is a taxi flat-fee of about €40 ... and if you use your phone to book a car service, either "city cab" or "Welcome pickups" they do it for same price as a taxi. When you are at a hotel either island, on request y our hotel can arrange a local taxi pick-up to port or airport, without special fee. Paying for "transfer" is a rookie mistake.