Please sign in to post.

Positive Review: Road Scholar The Best of Greece: Island Hopping in the Aegean Fall 2019

I had the pleasure of taking Road Scholar The Best of Greece: Island Hopping in the Aegean trip Fall 2019. One reason I booked this tour is less stress of planning everything, tips, gratuities,entrance fees and almost all meals were included. I was originally going to go with Rick Steves tour but that tour does not do any of the islands.

After taking this trip it was Fantastic and I felt I got the most bang for my buck. This trip is perfect for all adults no matter your age. The tour leader Chrysa P (Χρυσουλα Π) was awesome. She is one of Greece’s gems! She went to school to be a Greek tour guide ,I believe has a few degrees and speakers more than one language. She was able to navigate buses, ferries, hotels,etc.and was even able to get us on the last ferry even though there was a strike. She knew so many facts and her love of her country showed. She doesn’t do every Road Scholar trip.

The hotels where all clean and comfortable. One hotel was even a splurge. The meals were plentiful and most times include wine. A few nights we were on our own for dinner but was so full from lunch a light snack was all I needed. In addition they provided the listening devices were you could hear the tour guide even though she was down the street a bit.

I highly recommend if you book this trip to bring a carry on 22x14x9. In addition to one that has wheels and possibly a backpack/luggage combo. Your luggage will be doing a lot of traveling from the ferries, hotels, buses, etc.

A rough guide to the itinerary:
https://www.roadscholar.org/find-an-adventure/20916/The-Best-of-Greece-Island-Hopping-in-the-Aegean/itinerary/

Posted by
3183 posts

Glad you enjoyed your trip. We just got back from the RS Greece tour and loved it! I will correct you though that we did do one island on our itinerary called Hydra. No cars on the island, everything by donkey and it was fabulous!

We actually ran into a Road Scholar tour at our hotel Acropolis Select in Athens, but they had a male tour guide so different group I guess. We would love to go back and see more of the islands especially Crete.

Posted by
235 posts

@ diveloonie aka Tammy You must have gone on Road Scholar Classical Greece: Islands of the Aegean by Yacht. Glad to hear you too had a good time.

Posted by
3311 posts

LF .... I think there is some confusion because of identical Initials: RS RS!! I believe the person who went to Hydra was on a Rick steves tour & sticks to the mainland (Athens & Peloponnese & Delphi) except for a hop or overnight to Hydra, so people can say they were on a Greek isle.

Posted by
10117 posts

This is going on our Road Scholar wishlist. Every program we have participated in with Road Scholar has been excellent.