Please sign in to post.

Plug Adapter

What do I need to take to plug in my cell phone or laptop from US to Greece? Adapter/Converter recommendations please

Thank you,

Posted by
4891 posts

Double check the voltage label on your electronics, but they should be dual voltage. So you'll only need a European adaptor. Get more than one, 'cause you're guaranteed to lose at least one.

Posted by
3961 posts

In addition to Jean's posting, as long as your appliance has built-in 110/220 volt converter you will be fine. If not you will need to buy a voltage converter. The RS online store sells the Continental Europe Electrical Adapter for $1.00, limit 5. I agree, buy several. Easy to forget them when you check out. Enjoy Greece!

Posted by
4891 posts

If your appliance says 110-220 watts and 50-60Hz (or similar) then it is dual voltage. Dual voltage means it has a built in converter. If it is only 110, then you need a converter as well as an adaptor. Unlikely to be single voltage, if your phone and laptop were bought in this century.

Posted by
201 posts

I know that if you have Apple products, you only need a plug adapter.

Posted by
2768 posts

Very few personal electronic devices need a converter anymore. I have a sense those are going the way of the dinosaur. Double check as others explained but Apple products are multi-voltage as is every android phone charger I’ve seen. As well as all the laptops I’ve used on the last 10 years of trips.

As a test I looked through my house at all portable electric things and all I found that was NOT both voltage was my toaster.

Posted by
11294 posts

As said above, most but not all chargers these days are multi-voltage and automatic, meaning that you do not need or want a converter (these can mess up electronics). Look at the charging "brick" (you may need a magnifying glass). If it says "100-240 volts" and "50-60 Hz" you're all set with just a plug adapter.

Some things that get hot (like hair dryers) are dual voltage. These are not automatic; you need to flip a switch from 110 to 220 volts for Europe, and flip it back when you get to the US. These still need a plug adapter.

And some things are single voltage. If the appliance or charger only shows "110-120 volts" (but not above 200), don't bring it to Europe. Get a new charger, get a new multi-voltage device, or buy one in Europe (many report that dual voltage hair dryers, while safe, don't work as well in Europe as ones bought there).

And yes, original equipment from Apple (and most other companies) is multi-voltage, but be particularly careful of replacements. Someone posted here that they bought a cheap charger on Amazon, and only when they looked directly at it did they realize it was for 110 volts only.