Please sign in to post.

planning trip to Greece April 2025

Hi all,

Greece has been on my bucket list forever; history and literature buff here, turning 70. I can quote passages of Homer by heart.
My husband and I are Europhiles. We like to stay in a place for several days and get to know it a bit before moving on. We probably wouldn't enjoy too much island hopping. We're not into nightlife, but more into nature, ocean, food and small village life.
For people like us, what do you recommend? Milos? Corfu? Hydra? I am not into big cities and my husband has been to Athens and Corfu before.
Basically want to see the gorgeous water, enjoy local food and lodging, the lovely landscape, and think about Odysseus.

Recommendations????
thank you!
Bronwyn

Posted by
2169 posts

Crete might be a good choice — home of Zeus and Hera and other well known characters in Greek mythology. You could start in lovely Chania, bus down to Paleochora, ferry along the southern coast stopping at little villages, then head back north to Rethymnon or Iraklio, visiting Knossos. You could easily spend from 2-6 weeks here, returning to Athens at the end for a few days.

If this sounds interesting, I suggest you read the several trip reports on this forum by people around your age who have visited Crete in the past few years. And feel free to come back with further questions.

Posted by
68 posts

We just returned on May 31st from our first trip to Greece,and it was amazing. We spent 12 nights on Crete,allowing us to truly immerse ourselves in the culture,enjoy the beach,and tour the White Mountains and smaller Villages, along with beautiful Chania
We flew into Athens and continued on to Crete via Aegean Airlines, a long travel day but worth it to be in our rental villa before dinner time. We allowed for two nights in Athens at the end of our trip. Looking back we wouldn't change a thing