Please sign in to post.

Our itinerary for June/July 2023 - Athens/Delphi/Meteora/Corfu?/Naxos

Thanks to everyone who commented on our cancelled 2020 trip and our upcoming one this summer. I wanted to share our itinerary and also ask for a little more help.

Vacation group: me, spouse, two elementary kids, my parents, his parents
Reason: his mother was born in a village up north and hasn't been back since the '70's

Days 1 - 4: Arrive in Athens and spend 3 nights here to catch our breath. We'll visit the Acropolis, etc.
Days 5 - 7: George's Taxi will drive us to Delpi to spend the night so we can hit Delphi the next morning to avoid bigger Athens' day tours. That afternoon we'll drive to Meteora spending 2 nights there. Day 7 in Meteora.
Days 8 - 10: Drive up to Igoumenitsa, Days 9/10 for going to the family village in the mountains and another day is open for relaxing or a quick jaunt to Corfu. Spend 3 nights in Igoumenitsa.
Days 11 - 15: Early morning to drive to Ioannina to fly to Naxos by way of Athens. Just check in and relax on the island after the hustle & bustle of traveling all day. 5 nights in Naxos. Tentative plans are trips to Mykonos, Delos, Santorini, and the beach. But who goes where if at all will be decided probably on-island. Other than visiting Delos, I'm content to stay on Naxos all day. We've got rooms booked at a place 5 mins from St George's beach.
Day 16: Fly to Athens, stay near airport
Day 17: Fly home to East Coast of US

It's a lot but I hope there is enough breathing room built in now so we're not just spending time checking in and out of hotels. It's not a totally relaxing vacation but as I say, "We take trips not vacations with the kids."

My questions:
1. Is it worth it to get a tour guide for the Acropolis or can we visit on our own?
2. Are there any stops we can't miss on our way up to Delphi? I know it's a long car ride but since we have a whole day devoted to heading north I think we could manage 1 or 2, at least stopping for lunch.
3. Does anyone have experience with the different monasteries? Is there one can't miss? I know each is closed on different days of the week. I also know most have large number of stairs for the entrance but I can't find a lot of info other than that. Are they steep? We also have a whole day here so maybe we will visit one and take our time on the stairs.
4. Any recommendations for a tour to Delos?
5. Is it worth it to visit Santorini in this fashion? Should we use a tour or can we take the ferry over and mosey around without one?
6. Any suggestions for places to stay near the airport? I am not staying at the Sofitel for $600 but most of the other options seem to be AirBnb type apartments.
7. What do people do for laundry on long trips? Find a laundromat? Wash in sinks?

Any thoughts and recommedations welcome, thanks!

Posted by
4375 posts

Are you renting a van or two cars? Those are the details I'd be sweating for now.
Honestly this would wipe me out as a 40something with no kids, so god speed!
7. No, don't wash in sinks for a family that large! I am sure you can find a laundromat or service, but I usually just rent a place with a machine.

Posted by
44 posts

We were in Greece for several weeks in October. The first part of our trip was a tour, then a four day cruise to see Ephesus and several islands. Santorini was mobbed in October, I can’t imagine it being fun for a short visit in July. We then rented a car and headed to Meteora where we spent a couple of days. Truly beautiful. We took day tours to see the monasteries, which ones are determined by what day of the week it is, as they all have different schedules. I suggest a tour to see them, those hills are winding and the local guides know so much. We then drove to Ioannina for the night. It took far longer than google told us it would! Then we drove to Napflion for several days and then to the airport and stayed at a nearby hotel before our flight home.
My biggest concern would be renting a car that would hold all of you driving through the mountains of Meteora and Ilonnina, the highways are easy to navigate, but the towns are much trickier.

Posted by
44 posts

Just to add, we had no trouble finding local laundromats in Athens or in small towns.

Posted by
13 posts

Thanks for the replies so far. Just a quick clarification, for our trip from Athens to Igoumenitsa, which includes Delphi & Meteora, we are booking the George's Taxi car service. I believe it'll be a large van and dedicated driver.

We are on our own for transportation in Athens, getting to Ioannina, and while in Naxos. I'm guessing we'll do the subway or taxi around Athens, still looking for car service while up North, and bus/walking/taxi around Naxos.