Long time lurker, first time poster. This forum has been so helpful in guiding my planning for a first trip to Greece. My husband and I are looking to visit next year. Based on advice from this forum, we are looking at the last week in May through the first week in June – about two weeks.
Here is what we are looking forward to for this trip:
- Visiting ancient sites and learning about the history of the region
- Balancing out the historical and cultural aspects with other fun activities.
- Some time near the beach or water – more for the views and some swimming rather than spending days sunbathing.
- Good food and wine, slow down a little and enjoy the surroundings.
Here is my first cut of the itinerary. Domestic flight times are not posted for 2020 yet so I estimated based on current flight times. We are flying from the East Coast of the US.
Naxos- 4 nights (Stay in St. George beach area, Sunday - Wednesday)
- 12:30 flight to Naxos from Athens; Afternoon at hotel fighting jet lag.
- Private boat trip
- Rent a car or hire a guide to explore villages
- Visit beaches, Naxos Town
Depart Naxos on Thursday 10:25 am. Arrive Athens 11:10 am
Peloponnese – 5 nights (Base in Nafplio, Thursday - Monday)
- fly to Athens, pick up car, stop at Corinth Canal on way to Nafplio, late afternoon/evening enjoy Nafplio
- Visit Mycenea, Ancient Nemea and wineries, Epidaurus (too much for one day?)
- Kayaking half day, Explore Nafplio, Palamidi castle
- Cooking class
- Mystras (do this from Nafplio or should we overnight near Mystras?)
- Would like to see Ancient Messene or Monemvasia but I don’t think we have time.
Depart for Delphi Tuesday
Delphi - 1 night (Tuesday overnight in Delphi)
- Arrive Delphi in afternoon – visit museum in late afternoon/evening
- Wednesday Visit Delphi first thing in morning Drive to Athens, drop off car
Athens – 3 nights (Wednesday – dinner Athens; Thursday, Friday - exploring)
- Acropolis (early morning or late afternoon)
- National Archeological
- Museum Ancient Agora Explore Plaka, eat some good food before we head home.
Saturday – depart for US.
How does the above itinerary look in terms of order, time allotment and logistics? If you have any alternate recommendations, I would love to hear them. If we moved the trip up by a week so that we were there the last two weeks in May, would that cause any issues related to weather, crowds, hotels open, etc?
Thanks in advance for your help!