Hello! First time traveling to Greece, we can't go for two weeks, more likely 10 to 12 days around July 20. Three total, one 18 year old girl. I've been reading the forum for suggestions, and I've seen the recommendations that combine Athens / Santorini / Naxos (or Paros), which looks like a nice mix of history (for me, my wife) and beaches, relaxation (for all of us). This would be a good blend for our family's varied (and some times conflicting!) interests. We don't like to rush through places, so seeing a bit less and thinking of returning is our preferred way to travel.
The main questions here are:
1) The differences between Naxos / Paros / Hydra (Ricks favorite, why?)
2) A roughly 10 day itinerary is below. If it looks OK, what to do if we travel 12 instead of 11 days (what else we shouldn't miss, or should we just add one more day to one of the places below)
3) Itinerary looks reasonable?
Right now, based on what I read, we'd:
1) Arrive and leave Athens the same day. Go to Santorini
2) Day 2 Santorini (one full day, two nights good enough?), so daughter can take the famed pictures/
2) Day 3 go to...Naxos? Paros? Rick seems to favor Hydra. Differences? More beautiful beaches? Why one versus the other? About 4 days there.
3) Days 8-10 back to Athens for the last few days
4) Leave on day 11 from Athens.
So main question would be
What to do if we go for 1 more day (12 versus 11, or 12 versus 10)? I see Delos as highly recommended for history/archeological sites, Rick mentions Nafplio (although it seems he favors staying away from the islands, as that appears to be a more central location), Rhodes (but seems a bit further out).
And finally, are we too late to plan this trip at this time?
Thanks very much!!