Please sign in to post.

Naxos - March 2020

We'll be in Naxos Mar 20-29. We're looking to rent an apartment in Old Naxos as a base for the whole time. We're hoping to "live like Greeks" - shopping in local markets, soaking up Greek culture and cuisine.

We still want to do some day-tripping and see the island. Will we be limited in public transport - bus, taxi availability - given it's early in the year? Does anyone know if we can rent bicycles in town? What about car rental then?

Can anyone point me to some good cooking classes?

Where are the best seafood and veggie markets? Suggested restaurants?

Thanks, Bob

Posted by
15 posts

Naxos is a great island to "Live like Greeks". And it has some of the best food in the Greek Islands in my opinion.

So you will have no trouble getting around Naxos in March. This is when the tourist season is just getting started. As far as Bicycle you don't see many in Naxos ( mainly because Naxos town is built on a huge hill). And the island is really too big to explore by bike. Unless you have a lot of time. Car rental shouldn't be a problem. But buses and taxis will be around. (Your hotel will be able to help you with all this).

I can't point you towards cooking classes. But I can point you towards some good restaurants. My favorite ones are all on the boardwalk. Su E Giu, Rendez – Vous, Scirocco Cafe

Also if you're a drinker you must try the Kitron. Which is the special booze of Naxos.

Posted by
2489 posts

We were in Naxos two Mays ago. I found the bike rental/tour company below but never used them as we did not have enough time.

The owner of the hotel we stayed at said they do not open until April so I am guessing you are earlier than the tourist season.

http://naxosbikes.com/index.html