Hi! I would love some advice on a suggested itinerary from those who have gone to Nafplio. I have searched through forums and read and reread http://www.visitnafplio.com/ (thank you to the creator!) but it is a bit overwhelming because I'm not sure of the distance of each place listed from Nafplio and we are leaving for our trip in 10 days (we're going to Scotland first) so I'm running out of time to book tours and plan how we'll spend our time there. For reference, I am going with my husband, we are 28 and 30 and this will be our first time to Greece, but not to Europe. Our trip will be Santorini (3N), Naxos (4N), Nafplio (3N), then Athens (3N). I haven't booked our flight from Naxos to Athens yet, the flight options are 1:30-2:10 or 5:20pm-6. (booking this very soon!) Thinking we will take the 1:30 but it depends how much time we need for Nafplio vs. Naxos as I'm sure it will be hard to leave Naxos!
September 24 Tuesday Flight to Athens from Naxos then rent car to Napfio, staying at hotel Amymone and Adiandi
September 25 Wednesday
September 26 Thursday
September 27 Friday Travel to Athens, we're taking the Athens Free Tour at 5pm so arrive sometime around 3 or 4 (flexible) to return rental car and check into hotel (not sure if that's enough time)
Here's what I found that sounds interesting (we don't need to fit everything in!):
Nemea wineries (recommendations? should we stop at more than one? should we do this by ourselves or on a tour?)
Walk around town
Swim at arvanita beach or asine
Have a drink at waterfront bar at sunset
Syntagma square and sit at a cafe for dessert
Drive to one of the other beaches close to Nafplio (Kastraki? Tolo? Vivari? Karathona?)
Also on the maybe list: Tiryns, the archaeological museum, or a day trip to____?
One day I am thinking of taking a tour with Grecopaths, they suggested a custom tour of Nemea/Mycenae along with wine tasting (think this is at the same farm that dinner is at), farm to table dinner, and cycling. Then I'm not sure if we should use the other full day for a day trip and spend the arrival and departure days mostly in Nafplio (except for the time for Corinth Canal & Epidaurus), or if we should spend the whole day in Nafplio.
1) What would you suggest for an itinerary? Is there anything not on this list that you would recommend seeing/doing based on our interests? There are so many day trip options and archaeological sites to choose from, it's hard to pick.
2) Which beach would you recommend besides Arvanita? Karathona (we would drive there)? Kastraki? Or should we go to Tolo for a short beach day on our last day? Vivari? Are the sun loungers at these beaches free (I’m assuming not), and would they all be taken early in the morning?
3) Should we stop at Corinth Canal and Epidaurus to or from Nafplio? Should we stop at one on the way up and one on the way back, or both together? How long should we expect to spend at Epidaurus between the theater and museum?
4) Has anyone done any walking tours in town to learn about Nafplio? Would you recommend one, or should we just walk around ourselves and explore? I see there's a Greeking.Me tour
5) Are there any wineries you would recommend in Nemea? We'll have a car (my husband doesn't love wine so he wouldn't drink much but I do so he would drive :) We wouldn't need to do a tour at the winery, just a tasting.
In case it's helpful, we enjoy history, tours (walking tours, cooking classes, food tours,(relaxed) bike rides), eating, drinking, trips to the beach. Not huge museum people unless there's a tour to give it more context and we would prefer to see the ancient sites with a guide where possible because I have a feeling we wouldn't enjoy it as much without one to explain what we're looking at. (Thinking no guide for Epidaurus, though, since we can do that on the ride to/from Athens.)