Please sign in to post.

Mykonos

Hi,
I have one day off a cruise ship to walk around Mykonos. Can anyone give me a walking guide? Thanks
Lyn

Posted by
11496 posts

You don’t need a guide. The streets, pathways take you around the town that resembles a labyrinth.

Posted by
5138 posts

As Suki stated, you probably don't need a guide per se. We walked all over the place without one and don't think we missed anything. A search for "walking tours of Mykonos" on the internet should supply a few options. You might want to consider taking the ferry to Delos which is often called the birthplace of the gods. Goggle it and see if it holds any interest for you.

Posted by
11496 posts

Delos is one of the world’s treasures! If you haven’t been there, take a boat from Mykonos.

Posted by
1423 posts

There is a ferry service from Mykonos town to Delos that departs in the morning and gives you about 3 hours at the Delos site. As I recall a few years ago it was 19 euros for round trip. You can be back in Mykonos town before noon and enjoy wandering the streets of the old town. Thats a pretty efficient way to visit Mykonos.

Posted by
9 posts

Hi,
We will also have one day there and intend to take a morning ferry to Delos. Should I worry about the ferry selling out if a cruise ship drops everyone off at the same time? The ship will have an excursion to Delos offered, I believe, but I don’t see any reason to pay for an excursion when I can just catch the ferry and go to Delos myself with the information we have about the site.
I assume one doesn’t buy tickets in advance for local ferries…?
Thanks!

Posted by
5138 posts

...worry about the ferry selling out...ship will have an excursion to Delos offered...I can just catch the ferry and go to Delos myself...

Your ship will probably anchor offshore, and people will go ashore on a smaller boat known as a tender. We've done quite a few cruises, and those going on ship excursions usually have priority for the tender. When we were there we took the ship excursion and thus had a "reserved" spot on the ferry so to speak. As I recall (could be mistaken) the ship excursion was not all that much more than doing it on our own. It is possible that the ferries will be had to get, depending on the size of the ship(s) -- no real way to know. For peace of mind you can't go wrong with the ship excursion. Just food for thought.