Please sign in to post.

Meteora hiking

We are arriving in Kalabaka by train on Friday June 9th, 2023 arriving @ 1:20?
Considering the Meteora Thrones Sunset tour from 2-4:00.
We would like to hike the next day but need to make sure we get on the train back to Athens leaving at 1:22 to connect with a flight to Milos that evening.
We would like to benefit from the history from a guide but are unable to find a hiking tour that will ensure we get to the train station on time.
Also, we are thinking of staying at the Holy Spirits in Kastraki, would the hike lead us back that way so we can pick up our luggage or is it a loop?
Is it feasible for us to do the hiking on our own and if so, where can I find a map?
Also, we are interested in seeing the Hermit Caves, is this an area we would be walking by or are they in a remote area?

Posted by
2462 posts

I am not sure you have time for all that you are wanting to do. Kastraki and Kalabaka are close to each other but not walking distance. So not very sure about staying in Kastraki without a car. You might be better off staying in Kalabaka and taking guided tours.

We did a guided hermit cave hike and the caves are close enough, although a hike up, but I don’t know if they would be easy to find on your own. We also did a hiking tour the next morning but probably would end too late for you. I would be a little worried to start hiking on my own with a train in the next town you have to catch at 1:22 pm. I do not think the trails were particularly well marked and you always have to allow for possibility of getting lost. Our hotel did give us a map so I am sure people do it.

Posted by
1736 posts

Here you will find information and a map for the hike you are looking for:

https://www.alltrails.com/en-gb/trail/greece/thessaly--4/meteora-short-loop - a (free) account is required to view details.

You can also download the OsmAnd app (free version) to follow the hiking path.

It is a 2 hour hike. Make sure you are able to return to Kalambaka station in time to catch your train, so ask on the spot if you want to be sure of the feasibility of this hike and to return in time