Please sign in to post.

Meteora - Greece

Really want to go here but I am having a lot of difficulty getting solid information. Just wondering if anyone has any good websites or other recommendations. I am planning on having a car. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted by
2427 posts

There is a website called visit meteora.travel with all the info you could need from tours to visiting hours to hotels. I hope that helps. This is a wonderful region to visit.

Posted by
1 posts

I plan to go to Meteora in August 2018 while in Athens so booked a rail package for rail tickets, hotel and tours of the monasteries. This is not quite DIY but the cost was reasonable from the website for "visit Meteora". The Rick Steves way would be to book the trains yourself and get hotel and find the local tours. But we assured ourselves hotel and tours during the high season this way.

Posted by
70 posts

We simply booked a room through Bookings.Com and drove from Delphi to Meteora. Meteora is beautiful but there isn't alot to do besides visit the monasteries. The road loops into the mountains from the "east" and "west" ends of the town, making it virtually impossible to get lost. We arrived in the early afternoon, did the scenic drive, watched a sunset with hundreds of other tourists, watched fireflies from our veranda, went to bed, got up before dawn to enjoy sunrise, took a hike into the hills from our B&B after breakfast, visited a few monasteries, watched another sunset, went to bead and did one last drive through the hills at dawn, grabbed breakfast and headed back to Athens. Two nights seemed perfect, maybe an extra day would be useful if you really wanted to do some hiking. It was spectacular, people were friendly, our B&B, Pyrgos Andrachti, was clean, comfortable, and had a rustic charm with owners who gave us great suggestions for visiting the monasteries. It's a long drive to Meteora but the place is so unique and welcoming that it's worth the time invested. If our schedule hadn't been driven by a festival on Hydra, we would have done some sightseeing on the way back to Athens...but we definitely know that the evenings we watched the sun sink behind the monasteries at Meteora were ones we will never forget.