Please sign in to post.

Meteora

We have reservations to be in Meteora May 27-29. Also we were planning on traveling to Meteora by train. Does anyone know what’s happening with the train now? We’re wondering if we should make different arrangements to get to Meteora.
Thank you

Posted by
13 posts

That's exactly what I'm wondering! I really want to go to Meteora in mid-May after my RS tour, but have been concerned on if and how I can do it now. I had read that all trains would be running again after April 1, but unsure if I want to take the train now, after hearing about the sorry state and lack of proper maintenance of Greek trains.

The visitmeteora.travel site that had been recommended here is still showing train trips to Meteora. I'm not seeing bus tours available, and I don't want to drive there and back (alone). So I might just sign up with them for a multi-day tour and hope for the best. BTW, parts of May are already sold out for the 3 day tour.

Posted by
1810 posts

Train traffic on the Athens Thessaloniki line partially resumed on Monday April 3.

On the route Athens - Kalambaka - Athens:

From Athens the train 882, departure time 08:28

From Kalambaka train 887, departure time 16:45

Bus lines remain in service on this route

Informations and booking here::

https://www.hellenictrain.gr/en

According to the Greek press additional safety measures have been taken since the accident: reduction in train speed, fewer journeys made during the day, two station masters and two mechanics are positioned at each station.