Please sign in to post.

Meteora

Is visiting Meteora worth the effort and expense? We arrive to Athens a 1 1/3 days before our RS two week Greece tour. We are also staying one additional night in Athens after the tour ends and before flying home. Meteora is 4.5-5 hour drive from Athens. I have found a company, Greek Travelling, that is able to meet our flight, provide driver to Meteora and make arrangements but it would be pricey. While pricey i do not think we need another night in Athens and Meteora looks fascinating. Just deterred by 5 hour drive day we arrive and then again on the day tour starts .

Posted by
2613 posts

Well, you're definitely short on time to do it. What time do you get in? If you mean you're arriving early on Day 1, then going straight to Meteora, sleeping there, waking up and seeing the monasteries, sleeping there again and then driving to Athens for the start of the tour?

Meteora was my favorite place on our Athens/Santorini/Naxos/Delphi/Napflio trip last year. So I guess you have to weigh your heartiness for a big trek and make a judgment call - you certainly won't be underwhelmed by Meteora. It's just breathtaking, with the cliff sides, the monasteries. Loved it.

You might try pricing with Private Greece Tours and see if you do any better. We toured with them for 5 days and they are really the best travel company we've used so far. They gave us George for a driver and sometimes I think about planning another trip to Greece just so George can drive us around again.

Reviews: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g189400-d1924860-Reviews-Private_Greece_Tours-Athens_Attica.html

Posted by
127 posts

Dear Valerie from the Pacific NW, thank you for your most helpful and timely response to my question! You confirmed Meteora was worth making a priority and provided a link to a outstanding Greek tour company, Private Greek Company. I have been in contact with Nikos and am close to signing on the dotted line. Thank you for taking the time to responding to my question.

I may put your comment on my kitchen blackboard, “you certainly won't be underwhelmed by Meteora.”

Please let me know if your journey took you to the monument of Leonidas where the 300 Spartans fought against the Persian army at Thermopylae (Hot Gates) or lake of Marathon.
Sally Moxley, Richmond VA

Posted by
1016 posts

Meteora is absolutely worth it. A private driver to get there is absolutely not. Rent a car from Athens airport and drive. That's what we did. You will enjoy having the car in Meteora / Kalambaka / surrounding area. Very beautiful and magical place.

Posted by
2613 posts

@sallymoxley - Thanks for your kind words! We did not stop at the Leonidas site. It was offered to us, but I wasn't interested. Instead, when we got back to Athens, George drove us around for awhile, dropped me off at a little museum I wanted to pop into, picked me up, dropped me off at the meat market so I could wander for a few minutes, picked me back up and then took us back to our hotel. I cannot stress enough how wonderful George is.