Please sign in to post.

Luggage on Ferries.

I am planning on taking the ferry from Santorini to Paros and was wondering about my luggage? Is there a place centrally located for your cabin/class/section you put it? Is there overhead bins? Can I leave my luggage at my seat and come back and expect it to still be there or if I head out on deck should I take it with me?

Posted by
5211 posts

When we took the 'Blue Star' from Piraeus to Santorini, and then from Santorini to Mykonos, we had to leave our luggage on the bottom of the ship, where the cars and buses are loaded in. I don't recall any luggage racks; but mostly everyone just piles their suitcases on the corner near the staircase to the upper deck. Once you arrive at your destination, everyone is trying to find their luggage and it's a chaotic experience. Don't leave anything of value with your luggage. I had a small backpack (instead of a purse) with all our valuables; actually my valuables were in my money belt under my clothes.

I strategically placed our luggage against the wall by the stairs, and I walked down the stairs at each port just to make sure no one walked out with our luggage. I know this makes me sound paranoid but I didn't want to arrive to our destination without our clothes!

Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
16893 posts

Some ferries have a luggage rack near the boarding area but in other cases you'll haul your bag up some stairs and can leave it in the seating area. If the ferry doesn't dock en-route, there's little chance of your luggage walking away. I've not seen overhead bins on a ferry. And of course, you're talking about a shorter route, not one for which you'd book a sleeping cabin overnight. If you have selected a ferry operator, you may find some general interior photos on their web sites.

Posted by
169 posts

Thank you both! I had planned on anything valuable to be in my backpack which will be with me. I may do what you did Priscilla and just check on it when we dock anywhere. The boat will dock once at Naxos, then will dock at Paros, where I will get off.

Posted by
3320 posts

I know, I know ... when we live in a country where we keep a hand on our handbag at all times, eyes darting around, it is hard to relax a bit. I remember my first ferry ride (18 years ago). I put my bag on a rack and stood there. A ferry staffer asked, "Can I help?" I expllained I was waiting for my receipt. He laughed and said, oh we don't need those here, nobody is interested in your bag. I was very jumpy of course, as are you. But over the years, and with probably 25-30 ferry trips, I totally understand ... everyone carries their key possessions (money, passport, phone etc) in theri shoulder bags, and who's interested in your rollaboard full of dirty laundry? Nobody would take a bag except by Mistake --- and it's always a good idea to put some PROMINENT idenifier on it, especially if it's a black bag similar to others -- a LARGe bright ribbon on the top handle, or a bright-color duct-tape "X" on the top lid.

The good tip already noted is, if you're getting off at the first or 2nd stop, make sure your bag is situated where it won't be buried under other luggage -- find a wall or corner to prop against or (if you have TWO bags, stack them in a shelf so no other can fit on top. And when they announce your stop, don't wait until the ferry docks, start heading downstairs immediately. This means you'll be standing in the dark, next to a huge truck, waiting for the ramp to slam down ... but the view when it does open, is great!

Posted by
1157 posts

I pretty much agree with Janet. The first time I took a ferry I dragged my suitcase and backpack with me all over the ferry thinking it was much better than leaving it "unattended" below decks where who-knows-who can grab it.

After that I realized the luggage racks below deck are safe and no one (so far anyway) will take it (mine). I've done it a number of times now and my small suitcase was always in the same position as when I left it and nothing missing from it.

As noted, take all your most important valuables and paperwork with you in your day and/or carry-all bag and don't worry about leaving a suitcase on the racks. It will be a lot safer there than leaving a suitcase on the luggage racks of a Metro Train and walking away from it!

Posted by
169 posts

It is a little disconcerting to leave my luggage. Even in the states I wouldn't but it makes sense that there isn't any problem. And it might be like when I took a bus in Romania, I just trusted when we stopped other places no one would take my luggage from underneath the bus and they didn't.

Posted by
1157 posts

You don't have to worry about leaving your luggage in the luggage rack on a ferry. I've done it a number of time and my suitcase and everything in it was there just as I left it when I packed.

In the US leaving anything unattended could result in getting ripped off.