Please sign in to post.

Last minute trip

Unexpectedly, I have the opportunity to do some traveling in October. I plan to travel for 2-3 weeks and I have been looking at Greece. I often travel making plans as I go - I have a general idea about what cities I would like to see and make lodging reservations as I go. Is this a feasible plan for Greece in October? I am especially interested in Tinos, Naxos and Amogoras.

Posted by
3122 posts

Ferry schedules will be changing sometime in October for the off season, so check here to keep updated on those changes: www.gtp.gr

Posted by
1157 posts

I just did a test booking for ferries between the three islands so it's doable but you'll need to confirm specific dates and times to see if they work for you.

https://www.ferryhopper.com/#results

Just click on island hopping link and enter the order of islands and dates for October.

I've been to all three of those islands and they are truly lovely with Tinos turning out to be a gem of an island, far better than I expected with some of the most beautiful Greek villages I've been to.

Naxos and Amorgos are also wonderful and October is off or low-season so all three islands will be less expensive, less tourists and still nice weather.

I'll be in Greece early October once again.

Posted by
2126 posts

Deb, it's feasible to make lodging reservations as you go in October. But since the islands are beginning to wind down, I'd visit them first. I'd just do two islands -- Naxos (4-5 nights?) and Amorgos (3-4 nights?). Fly directly to Naxos upon arrival in Athens, if you can. And of course you'd want lodging reserved on Naxos (lots of options on St. George Beach).

Then take a ferry to Amorgos. I strongly recommend staying at Porto Katapola and reserving in advance. If ferry schedule changes impact your arrival or departure days, Giannis will understand and will accommodate you. Both of these islands -- Naxos and Amorgos -- offer lots of opportunity for wandering. You could rent a car for a day on each island, if you'd like, but you can get along just fine without it.

Then ferry back to Naxos and ferry or fly back to Athens. Depending on your interests, you might then want to visit Nafplio for 3-4 nights (via car or bus or maybe a tour?). You'd probably want advance reservations there. If you have a car, you might want to drive around the Peloponnese (without reservations).

Or perhaps you'd rather take a bus trip (or tour) to Delphi and Meteora from Athens. End your trip with a few nights in Athens.

Greece in October is lovely. You may need long pants and a light sweater in the evening, so be prepared. Lots of fresh figs and pomegranates, and amazing vegetables.

Posted by
16893 posts

I think a flexible plan is ideal for Greece in shoulder season. There's lots of accommodation, which is not likely to shut down before the end of October, even in small places. Ferry and bus schedules should always be taken with a grain of salt, anyway.