I usually am one of those who likes to plan trips months in advance and was thinking about going to Greece later this year (end of Septemberish) and for that reason I've barely scratched the surface on my planning and research, but turns out I've had a change of plans and will be going to Greece sooner rather than later!
I'm currently scheduled to arrive in Athens on Jun. 15th at 10:15am (coming from east coast of US). The good news is I have a little more time than I was initially planning. I fly back home Jun 30th departing Athens at 1:50pm.
I had posted a thread here asking for first time advice on a route and after having to make some tough decisions about what to prioritize and what to drop, I think I am going to do something like this, but wanted to run it by all you good folks here and make sure it is feasible.
I plan to fly directly to Santorini after landing in Athens (will look for a flight at least 2 hours after my arrival time in Athens).
- Santorini (3 nights, Jun 15-18), ferry to Naxos on the 18th
- Naxos (4 nights, Jun 18-22), ferry to Athens on the 22nd
- Athens (4 nights, Jun 22-26), train to Kalambaka on the 26th
- Meteora (2 nights, Jun 26-28), train to Levadia on the 28th, then taxi from Levadia to Delphi
- Delphi (1 night, Jun 28-29), bus back to Athens on the 29th
- Athens (1 night, Jun 29-30), fly back home to US on the 30th
A little about me and my interests: I am a solo male traveler in my 30s. I have no interest in nightlife/clubbing/drinking. Mostly when I travel I like to visit important historical sites, architecture, walking or guided tours, just wandering through towns or cities, experiencing the culture of a place, and also some photography (so incredible landscapes/views are a big plus). Beach time is not a high priority for me (though I may take a dip in the sea just once just for the heck of it).
I'm trying to keep that balance between too slow and too fast.
I do not plan to rent a car during my trip. I was planning on taking the ferry back from Naxos to Athens to avoid another plane trip (I am a nervous flyer and prefer to avoid it if possible :D)
- Do my island choices make sense given my interests? I chose Santorini mainly because it's my first time to Greece and I want to see the famous caldera views I've seen in so many postcards and images of Greece. Besides that, my priorities are Akrotiri ruins and the Fira-Oia hike.
I really need to do some more research on Naxos, Do you think Naxos will keep me busy with other stuff to see besides beaches as that is not a high priority? I was also thinking of using one day in Naxos to do a day excursion to Delos/Mykonos (I know that's a long day, but seems pretty cool). My other island that really interested me was Rhodes, but it just seems so far out of the way and I think I would need more time in Rhodes. So the combination of Santorini-Naxos seems better this trip than Santorini-Rhodes?
- Lodging - I know I am getting a late start. For Santorini, I know Firostefani is recommended a lot here. If I can't find a good place there, how horrible would it be to stay either near Akrotiri or on the other side of the island near Perissa? Are these areas at least well connected and easy to travel to other parts of the island if I don't have a car?
What about Naxos? A quick look at Booking looks like there are still some highly rated places in Naxos Town/Chora. Would that area be my best bet?
Do I need to book ferries now - or can that wait closer to my trip date?
Dumb question, but on the ferries, is it possible to be outside and get fresh air (I'm thinking to reduce corona risk and not be stuck in an enclosed space with a bunch of people for a long time).
Are there any other attractions in the places I am visiting that I need to book well in advance?
Thank you all again, I really appreciate it!