Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help for next month 10/2024

We are traveling to Greece to see our son (studying in Thessonoliki) and celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. Ideally, our son would be able to join us for 2-3 nights somewhere special. My husband is a efoiler/surfer and I am big on hiking. Sailing a bit with our son would be nice too. We love quaint villages, wild spaces, and areas less influenced by typical tourism. Right now I am looking at Athens-Hydra-Santorini-Naxos.......I would appreciate any feedback and suggestions! Thanks a million.

Posted by
227 posts

I can't tell you off-hand where you will be able to participate in specific watersports but by October finding the equipment might be difficult anyway.

To be fair, between the four spots you mentioned, while all are absolutely fabulous in their own right, none are less influenced by tourism. Athens is a massive city, though, so you can find your spots there. Naxos will be shutting down a little but still has abundant natural areas and the type of tourism that you would appreciate. By October, Hydra would be settled down; Santorini should still be pretty busy.

I have vast experience in this area and could easily lay out literally dozens of itineraries for you for any desire so if I throw one out, realize that it's just off the top of my head.
But, will you be in Thessaloniki? If so, spend a few days there. It's awesome. From there, for the days with your son, go to Meteora via Kastoria. The fall colors will be great, too. Or, go to Kavala and/or Halkidiki.

However, it appears that you might be meeting your son in Athens. Is that correct? In which case, the entire equation is flipped. Meaning, for the time with your son you could go to Delphi, Nafplio, Aegina or many others.

Actually, in order to elaborate I think it's necessary to know where you'll be starting from.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you for such a thorough and thoughtful response! To answer your question, we are open to going to Thessonoliki. We are landing in Athens and can either launch from there and have our son meet us elsewhere OR we can go to Thessonoliki and venture with him via car. Our son has a three day weekend, and we have a total of 10 days. It appears as though my husband can rent an e-foil from Athens, but are there nice beaches there for a day of surfing/e-foiling? Thanks again!

Posted by
3 posts

WOWEE! I am so thrilled at your recommendations. I am so appreciative. Meteora is definitely what I am after. The islands are so wildly advertised that I assumed that they are the gem of Greece. I love to hike and really love the idea of more greenery like the photos in the Meteora photos. The more diverse the over all trip is, the better. I will suggest the meteora trip to our son. What do you suggest my husband and I do so that we can incorporate the water sports, culture, history, and physical activity? The less time we have to spend in a boat, the better for me. However, I will make it happen if it means not missing something spectacular (I have a tendency towards motion sickness and will medicate as needed).

Posted by
1423 posts

Meteora is certainly spectacular. It can be done in 2 nights from Thessonoliki. Have you considered just staying in Thessonoliki with your son and just enjoy the sites in that area. If your son only has 2 or 3 days available staying closer spares a long drive to and from Thessonoliki.

Then you can drive to Meteora and enjoy it without having to drive back to Thessonoliki. From Meteora you might want to drive to Delphi. It is a spectacular site and you can easily understand why the ancients found it a special place.

For your island experience you could drop off you car at Athens airport and fly to Naxos. The main tourist season will be winding down but there will still be lots of other visitors. but it will not be crowded. I suggest you get a hotel at St George beach. Its part of the main town just a 10 minute stroll along the headland into town. At the far end of the beach you will find Flivlos water sports where there are lots of surfers. Naxos will also provide a number of delightful hiking options up in the interior mountains.

There are excursion boats that can take you to Santorini on a day tour. That is much more efficient than leaving your hotel taking a ferry then getting settled into a new hotel. This way you get to experience Santorini without having to pay the rather expensive cost of renting a hotel.

Here is why Naxos is a good choice.
Hike around Chalki https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/albums/72157712247853233
Visit to Aparanthos village. https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/albums/72177720318196100/

Saint George Beach https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/albums/72157632113170279aaa
Naxos at night2024 https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/albums/72177720318406428/
Naxos town 2024 https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/albums/72177720318203165/

Posted by
1 posts

Hi there,
I've been living in Greece for the past 6 years and have traveled extensively across the country.
If you are looking for a less touristy island I recommend this list.
If you prefer smaller towns, there are some great suggestions here.
Have a wonderful trip!