Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help!

Hi all, was wondering whether this itinerary of mine is feasible. I am travelling solo without vehicle, and have booked my accommodations.

Day 1 - Arrive in Athens in the morning, night in Athens
Day 2 - Athens
Day 3 - Morning bus to Nafplio, night in Nafplio
Day 4 - Nafplio
Day 5 - Morning bus back to Athens, bus to Kalampaka, night in Kalampaka
Day 6 - Meteora
Day 7 - Morning bus to Athens, flight out at 930pm

I know the itinerary is poorly planned. Should have started in Nafplio. But anyways, is this ok?

I have two other options:
1) spend only one night in Nafplio, and put in one extra full day in Meteora.
2) cut out Nafplio totally, so one extra day in Athens, and one extra day in Meteora.

Any views, please? Thanks!

Posted by
11027 posts

I think you would be happier if you spent less time traveling and more time 'at' a destination.
What you choose is up to you.

"Less is more", is true

Posted by
1152 posts

With the amount of time you have and your schedule I would stay in Athens and do one trip . . . either Nafplio or Meteora.

I've been to Nafplio and it is one of Greece's nicest towns and a good base to explore the Argolis Peninsula and some world-class archeological sites. I think it's a shorter ride to Nafplio than Meteora and may be a better use of your time

I haven't been to Meteora so can't speak on it but those Monasteries do look spectacular.

Each time you go from Point A to Point B eats up time and you really don't want to waste to much time on travel, especially with the amount of days you have.

Posted by
2462 posts

I also think you will be happier with your trip if you stick to two places. Travel in Greece takes more time than you expect.

So of your choices I would do 2 and cut out nafplio completely. However, I would consider cutting out meteora instead. It is further away and you don’t have a lot of time.

We loved nafplio. I haven’t been to meteora. It will have to be another trip!

Beth

Posted by
3 posts

Dear all thanks for sharing your two cents. I'm leaning more towards Meteora for now and cutting out Nafplio.

Is there another city in this world which is similar to Nafplio in your opinion? Rovinj, Croatia perhaps?

Posted by
2462 posts

My older son went to meteora and thought it was absolutely wonderful. Similarly, my brother in law went there overnight and said he wants to return and stay longer.

I am sure it will be wonderful! The most important thing is that you don’t try to do everything.

Beth

Posted by
29 posts

Just wanted to add a couple referrals, for if you end up going to Meteora. We spent a day and a half there, and were blown away by the scenery!

1) for tours, we used “visitmeteora.travel”, and were totally satisfied! We took their sunset tour, which was mostly bus-oriented, and gave us access inside one monastery (Holy Trinity), great views of the others, and a beautiful sunset view. The morning hike the next day, was approx 4-5 hrs, and got us inside 2 monasteries. Both excursions offered amazing views of the other monasteries, of the out-of-this-world scenery, and the guides provide excellent insight and knowledge.
2) for accomadations, stayed overnight in Kastraki, instead of Kalambaka. It is a much smaller village, with incredible views. We were fortunate because the hotel recommended by visitmeteora was perfect. Pyrgos Adrachti is an award winning, scenic gem, that offers balcony views of the mountains. It was very reasonable - 90 euro, including the best breakfast we had during our 2 weeks in Greece.
Hopefully this info helps. If you decide on Meteora, I’m sure you won’t regret it. We tweaked our itinerary by dropping 1 night in the islands, in order to visit, and, as much as we loved the islands, Meteora was, along with Santorini, the best of the best of our vacation!