Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Feedback

I have finally put together an initial itinerary for the trip my daughter and I are taking to Greece this November. We are on a moderate budget (use AirBNB with a kitchen whenever possible) and like to walk/hike, bird watch (any suggestions for that would be great!), beach walk, do local cooking lessons or other activities that connect us with local community. We are not into shopping or night life. Any favorite restaurants, tips on sightseeing, favorite places to stay, etc are appreciated!

Nov 12-Arrive Athens-3 nights (AirBnB)

Nov 15-Athens to Delphi-1 night
We may remove this if getting from Delphi to Kalambaka via bus is too time consuming and challenging.

Nov 16-Delphi to Kalambaka-3 nights (Alsos House?)
Information I found said that there is a bus Delphi to Lamia that runs Friday & Sundays at 3:15, Lamia-Trikala every couple of hours-Trikala-Meteora every hour. Can I get all three of these buses in one afternoon and make it into Kalambaka by evening?
I have heard of Alsos House and that it is close to walking paths and the owner knows a lot about Meteora, Has anyone stayed there?

Nov 19-Kalambaka-Thessaloniki-one night
Has anyone been to Thessaloniki? Is it worth staying more than one night?

Nov 20-Flight Thessaloniki to Crete-4 nights

Nov 25-Ferry Crete to Santorini or Naxos? 3 nights
If this is not possible due to ferry schedule then maybe fly to Athens on Nov 25 and go to Hydra? I am still working on this part of my trip.

Nov 28-Flight Crete to Athens 1 night

Nov 29-Departure to home

Posted by
26836 posts

Crete is a large island. A 4-night visit is quite short. I like Crete a lot, but I think I'd use that time elsewhere rather than rushing a visit to the island.

I have no experience traveling from Delphi to Kalambaka, but I've put in a lot of time on buses, and I would never count on stringing together 3 buses to get to my destination in just a few hours. You'll need a back-up plan at the very least.

Posted by
3115 posts

There is no ferry between Crete and Santorini in November other than the once-weekly Prevelis from Anek Lines. Check their website to see if it's something you can use.

Posted by
3312 posts

I think the whole idea of going to Thessaloniki is misguided ... it is NOT easier to go on to this city than it is to go back to Athens area. Have you thought about taking the TRAIN??? Why not take the train to Meteora & Back.... then do somehing else, then at the end of your trip go to Delphi by Bus & then back. Maybe a bit of backtracking but nowhere near as wack as trying to do Dellphi - Meteora by public transit. I saw one well-planned version that took 2.5-3 days. Look at a map. Take a deep breath. Skip Crete.

ATHENS - 3 nights (airbnb)
METEORA -- 2 day trip (train)
ATHENS - 1 night (on return from Meteora)
DELPHI - day trip (up via 7am bus -- see museum& site -- return via 6 pm bus (ATHENS hotel)
NAFPLIO -- 4-5 nights (local bus for daytrips to Epidaurus/Mycenae etc)
an ISLAND? Bus from Nafplio to ?? HYDRA (not my thing this time of year)

Posted by
26 posts

Hi Janet,

Thanks for your feedback. I have seen a lot of your posts on this forum and know you are very familiar with Greece. I am curious as to why you feel I should remove Crete from my itinerary? From the research I have done it seems like that would be a good place in November to spend 4 to 5 days minimum since there is more of a year-round population and things to do due to the fact it is such a large island. My daughter really wanted to see at least one Greek island so this seemed like a good option.

Posted by
3312 posts

Petsflowers, I have nothing against Crete, in fact I love it madly. It is simply that to me, sounds like SO much time on your trip plan will be spent simply on travel. You want to do Everything in 3-4 different directions -- NE to Meteora, N to Delphi, and waaay S to Crete and W to Nafplio. This is especially challenging since your trip will be during almost the shortest month of the year, when it gets dark before 6 pm (unlike june when you have THREE more hours to travel and/or sightsee). Not to mention the short winter hours, closures at 3pm. You have 16 days (not counting departure day, or arrival day unless u arrive before 10 am). If you did the list i roughed out From Athens thru Nafplio = 11+ days IF all goes well ... then you have 4-5 days to Fly to Crete (Chania) , rent a car? drive around? fly back from Heraklion the night before homebound flight. So yes, you could do it, that's if everything goes smoothly. If you want to try this, be sure that each place is somewhere you really want to see.

What makes something an absolute "must-see" for someone? Because they are SO drawn to a dramatic landscape? or have an affinity for religious destinations like churches & monasteries? or they're steeped in Classical studies and thrill to ruins, sculptures and archeology museums (that's my case). Some items are on a list because they are supposed to be Famous, or a friend said it's a must. That's not always right for everyone -- that's why it's important to do some research yourself; to look at some comprehensive guide books? Yes I know they are old-fashioned but they often help people choose what THEY want most, based on more knowledge .

Example: Is Crete what your daughter reallly had in mind for "at least one Greek Island?" Maybe she envisions the famous "postcard views" of snowy white buildings, blue shutters and red flowers, on a cliff overlooking the sea? In that case, you need a Cycladic island. That's not Crete. Its best-known Old Town, Chania (and many of its villages ), are golden stone with terra-cotta tiled roofs, looking more like italy. What's more, Crete is so big it doesn't have an island "Feel"... any more than one feels "islandy" on Long Island NY. Of course Crete has many swell things beyond "white-cube" houses ... huge mountains, gorges, ancient ruins, lovely harbors and fortresses, country lanes, wonderful small villages. But it's hard to see much of Crete -- it's really a country -- in less than 5+ days, even then really need a car, & well- organized plan, If you don't want to drive, then u'd better stick to the North Coast's 3 main towns.

Find out what island your daughter really envisions. (1) If Crete is it, to simplify things I'd advise you, on coming back from Nafplio, to go straight to Airport, Fly to CHANIA, spend 2 days, Then Bus to Rethymnon, spend 1 night (it has a University, so more youth-action). Bus to Heraklion (IF you want to see Knossos). Fly back from Heraklion & spend final night near airport. (2) If she wants an island with that "white cube" Cycladic look, only a few have permanent year-round Populations. You might fly to NAXOS, and stay in the Port Town (Hotel Grotta is scenic, just up a hill from the ferry). Stay 3 days -- you may be able to get a bus tour that goes around the island. Explore the interesting port town; enjoy dinner in the local tavernas, with the Naxians (they love to eat out, year-round). There's 1 flight back on the 29th.

Main thing: your destinations should be because YOU both want them, not because Somebody Said. Realize that when you want to see a lot of widely-separated places in a limited time, you're going to spend $$$ on transport. Build-in realistic time for travellng; it's the Big challenge in Greece. (It would help to have a magic carpet, or Star-Trek teleporting skills -- "beam me up Scotty"). Good luck and have fun!

Posted by
3312 posts

PS -- If you wanted to make your ambitious trip travels more efficient (unless you have locked yourself in to that AirBnb), you might consider doing your Island bit FIRST .... as soon as you land in ATH, (allowing 2 hrs in between) catch soonest Domestic flight to your Island. Then 4-5 days later, fly back, and from Airport go straight to your next destination. It might work best to go to Nafplio via bus (they run hourly). You could time your return from Nafplio to get the Meteora tour, then Delphi? and final 3 days in Athens. A complete reversal I know, but may be more efficient travel-wse. Of course, one would have to jigger it so that Meteora would be on weekdays I believe. A last thought, I know you are wedded to Meteora (not my thing), but if logistics seem too taxing, you might consider dropping Delphi. I have known people who went because they thought they ought to, and later said, meh.