Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Check-In

My mother (75) and I (50) will be traveling to Greece for the first time in September. I'm a veteran traveler, just navigated a trip through Germany and Austria this month, so realistic about jetlag and time to move between locations. She's super easy-going, and mobility isn't really an issue, although we're not planning for anything super strenuous. Looking for input on our general itinerary. Priorities are exploring something interesting, good food, and doing it all at a reasonable pace. We will have a rental car until our return to Athens, where we'll ditch it for the last few days.

Day 1: Arrival from U.S. to Athens (1 night)
Pick up rental car at airport and stay overnight at hotel in Pallini, about 15 minutes away

Day 2-5: Nafplio (3 nights)
Drive to Nafplio, visit Corinth, Mycenae, and Epidaurus on the way
Two full days in Nafplio

Days 5-7: Monemvasia (2 nights)
After drive, day and a half at Monemvasia Castle

Days 7-9: Mystras (2 nights)
Possible stop in Gytheio on the way

Days 9-13: Athens (4 nights)
Arrive late on first day, depart early on last, so three full days in Athens
Right now, I am scheduled to return our rental car to a city office within walking distance of our hotel. Is that crazy? I am comfortable driving in big cities with aggressive drivers, but is this nuts?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Posted by
4855 posts

My only pause was over Day 2-5: Nafplio (3 nights)
Drive to Nafplio, visit Corinth, Mycenae, and Epidaurus on the way
Did you mean see all three en route? None are particularly grueling, but maybe play it by ear and visit one from Nafplio rather than all in one day?
We skipped Corinth, and we spent the most time at Mycenae.

I didn't drive in Athens, but I would not immediately rule it out based on your description of yourself and my brief time in the city (not like Naples where I'd say, yes--nuts). However, if you decide to change, it was a snap to drop off a car at the airport and hop in a taxi to my hotel, and after a 3 hour drive, you might prefer stopping at the airport and letting someone else take over.

Posted by
2230 posts

Be careful of trying to do too much in the same day.

Between Pallini and Nafplio it is possible to stop at the Corinth Canal and even visit Mycenae before arriving in Nafplio, but Valadelphia is right, also visiting Epidaurus on the same day will be a lot of activities. Be careful of the heat, even in September. There is little or no shade on these sites.

Save a morning for the visit to Epidaurus once you are in Nafplio.

On day 5 you can go by the coast (via Leonidio) to go to Monemvasia, the road is winding but scenic and in good condition and there are possible breaks by the sea.

Same comment about the heat in Mystras, to visit in the morning.

The vast majority of car rental companies have an office on Syggrou Avenue in Athens. This avenue is close to the Plaka and Makrigianni districts. It's basically on this section of the avenue, see here:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/k94oRYTpNH6bZbdB8

It may be easier to return the car there, but as we don't know where you will be staying in Athens, nor the name of the car rental company, it's up to you to see if this is possible.

The traffic in the city is heavy and a little chaotic but nothing insurmountable for you, I'm sure.. :))
There are gas stations on the avenue to fill up the tank before returning the car

Posted by
2 posts

Wonderful feedback from you both - thank you! Exactly the type of information I've been looking for.

We're currently booked with the Avis at Syngrou Fix Metro. I'll have to look more closely at actual city drive time as opposed to skirting the perimeter. With our hotel a five-minute walk away, it sure would be less time than a cab from the airport, but we need to make it there with my sanity intact!

Posted by
2230 posts

I suppose you will stay in the Makrigianni district, check with the hotel if it is possible to stop the car while you drop off your luggage. It's sometimes not easy in this neighborhood.

If it's possible you could go directly to the hotel, drop off your luggage and then return the car to Avis. This will save you from walking around the city with your luggage between Avis and the hotel.

The other option is to return the car to the airport. You will either have to take a taxi to the city center (it's 40€ flat rate), or take the metro (9€) or the X95 bus (5.50€) to Syntagma square then walk with your luggages to your hotel.
The journey Airport→City center takes from 45 minutes to 1 hour.

In my opinion you will save time (and money) with the first option, but it's up to you.