Please sign in to post.

Itinerary advice for May 1-22, 2018

My husband and I have managed to get frequent flyer airline tickets from the US to Athens for May 1-22, 2018. We traveled to Athens, Milos, Santorini and Folegandros a few years ago in September and loved every bit of that trip. We are eager to return and try some new islands. We love quaint villages, good food, charming hotels and family run hotels, hiking that is not too strenuous and visiting ancient sites. I am wondering what those of you who have more experience would suggest for early May. We would like to go to Crete and I know that in general the best strategy is to fly to the furthest destination and then make one's way back to Athens. Is May 2 too early in the season to go to Crete? I have read that there is no public transportation to Elafonisi beach until midMay which is what has started me wondering about what conditions will be like at the beginning of May. We are also considering visiting Nafplio in the Peloponnese and wonder if others would suggest doing that at the beginning or the end of the 3 weeks. Islands we are considering are Crete, Naxos, Sifnos, Tinos, Siros and Paros. I would love your advise.

Posted by
12 posts

Hi lorelou!

The tourist period in some places in Greece starts around June. Thus you may face problems as lack of public transport during mid-May. However, renting a car is always an option tht works all year round.

So pros and cons for May.

Pros: Not crowded. No need to prebook your stay or your ferry tickets, apart from the long weekend in the 28th of May. Good weather, especially in Crete. Not very hot.

Cons: Some services may not operate. That holds true especially in smaller islands as Paros and Sifnos. Chances to be rainy.

As you will be hopping between islands I would propose to have an idea of which island connects to which. This is a good search platform for ferry schedules that I've come across this year. But be aware that ferry routes may change next year. Usually there are no radical changes, but count a 20% of changed routes. Another tool for ferry schedules is www.gtp.gr.

Hope to have helped a bit!

Posted by
1157 posts

I go to Greece off season, October however, so it's less expensive, lower prices and less tourists.

Many islands off season will have lots closed, closing or just opening up in your case May. However, there will always be shops, markets and tavernas open for locals so it may be a more "Greek" experience dealing with locals rather than hordes of tourists.

Many of the larger islands will have more options, especially Crete. If you stay in Chania there'll be plenty open and the New Town, just a few minutes walk away will have everything open.

Naxos is the largest of the Cyclades and doesn't solely rely on tourism so much is open, especially Naxos Town.

Sifnos, Paros, Tinos, Siros (Syros?) are smaller and will still provide options for things to do, places to eat and less crowds.

Nafplio is one of Greece's loveliest towns and is very popular with Greeks so there'll be lots to do. The Old Town is beautiful with most businesses open and the New Town just a few minutes walk away will have everything open. It's a great place to base yourself for exploring nearby archeolgoical sites.

Combining the mainland with islands can be challenging, so you'll have to figure out the best way to do that as far as geting from Point A to Point B, the time involved in doing so and costs.

Off-season travel to Greece can be very rewarding without the heat of summer, the lower prices and probably the best thing . . . less tourists to get in the way.

Lots of options all over the mainland and islands. Check out Matt's Greek Guide for lots of info:

https://www.greecetravel.com/

Posted by
2126 posts

Last year we had a great trip to Naxos>Amorgos>Antiparos>Milos. Since you've already seen Milos, you could substitute Sifnos instead (it's on the same ferry route from Paros to Milos).

Each of these islands has its own personality, and all are easily connected via ferry. On each island you will find lots of interesting things to see, quaint villages, good food, and great little hotels.

You can read a lot of well-deserved praise about Naxos on this forum. It's well worth 5-6 days and would be a good first stop.

You don't hear as much about tiny Amorgos, but it was one of our favorite places. You can reach it via daily ferries from Naxos. We stayed at the main harbor in a wonderful little pension called Porto Katapola, (under 50 euros/night with priceless views from our balcony). You can take a memorable hike up to the Hozoviotissa Monastery.

From Amorgos we ferried back to Naxos and then to Paros, and took a small ferry to Antiparos. One of our favorite days of the trip happened there -- a full day boat trip with Captain Ben. He also stops in Paros to pick up passengers, so you could choose Paros instead. But if you're staying in Sifnos and Naxos, I think a few days in tiny Antiparos would be fun.

Sifnos is also beautiful and has an easy ferry connection back to Athens. It was the first Greek island we ever visited. Lots of good memories.

We have not yet visited Crete, so we can't compare. But the nice thing about our itinerary was how easy it was to island hop. No hassle, no flying, no advance ferry tickets, just lovely, fairly-short ferry rides.

EDIT: We travelled in May ... arrived in Naxos on May 12 and it was plenty busy for us, but no crowds. When we reached Amorgos on May 19 it was quiet and lovely .. hardly any tourists, but everything was open. Antiparos on May 25 was busier but still no crowds. Weather was gorgeous throughout, although a little chilly for swimming. This was a great time of year to be in Greece.

Posted by
3320 posts

Congratulations! May is Wonderful month to be in Greece!! Take folding umbrella for a(few) showers, windbreaker plus cardigan is enough for any chilly night -- and you'll see Greece at its best! Places are opening, greenery & flowers everywhere, Greeks are out painting boats & flagstone paths, relaxed, upbeat & chatty. 11 of my 12 trips began in i may; only drawback is. swims are brrrr until about May 10-12, but there are strategies. Important: are you OK with wee bit of car rental?? On crete it helps time-efficiency a LOT, to rent 3 days. My options assume that. Also assume 3-4 isles max. & minimal Athens. You LAND May 2nd. cant count departure day -- thus 19.5 days, not 22.

IMPORTANT: Much depends on Ferry Skeds NOT out till Spring. This site http://www.openseas.gr/openseas/en/ has magic feature: click LEFT arrow on calendar to roll BACK & show May 2017 sailings. Warning#1 - May chanciest month, skeds change & ferries pulled off for maintenance. However u do see service pattern. Warning #2 - don't look at DATE but DAY, i.e., if there's a ferry to Sifnos on 3rd Thursday, not "on May 17".

2 possible sequence scenarios plus commentary -- the challenge is that in MAY it's freakin' hard to get from Central Cyclades to Western (Sifnos) Cyclades at ALL... only 1 - 2 ferries per week even from Santorini.

• Plan 1- NAFPLIO Day 1-4 (4 nights) -- Day 5 thru 9 Fly ATH to CHANIA (5 nights, last in Heraklion) -- Day 10-HERAK to NAXOS (for 6 nights) -- Day 16 (a Fri) to ??? (I suggest Paros-Antiparos for 3 nights) -- May 20 early AM Fly back to ATH for 1.5 days sightseeing.

• Plan 2 - NAFPLIO Day 1-4 (4 nights)-- Day 5 thru 9 CHANIA (5 nights, last in Heraklion) -- Day 10(Fri May 11) ferry to SANTORINI by noon, 1:30 seajet to SIFNOS for DAY11 thru 12(3 nights) - Day 13 (Mon 5/14) Ferry to SYROS, arrive 5:30 pm (one night?) You can eitther take the Midnight Blue star to NAXOS, or the 7 AM "Seajet" NAXOS 5-6 days, Fly Back ATH May 20 early, as above.

Destination observations:
NAFPLIO - Dynamite way to start: u can easily take KTEL Bus (2.5 hrs), spend at least a day exploring town &around, rent car to get readily to 4-5 of the Best ruins sites in Greece (OR get car @airport & return there). Fab website http://www.visitnafplio.com is a good start; click on ALL links. Lots of fine local cafes & tavernas, shops w. imaginative wares, 2 superb small museums, Frankly the sunsets from cafe row on seafront beat anything I've seen in any island (and I've been to 25+).

CRETE - CHANIA idea 1st stop for 2 days, then 3 days by car, drive south then N-E to Heraklion. Imbros Gorge a lovely 4 hr hike (I did it @69), also good organized walks available... options too many to discuss on this thread! (re: Elafonissi -- tour busses will still be going there, it doesn't look empty like the internet "eye candy" photos ... consider if trip is worth long drive/ride).

NAXOS - The Isle that has it all! PLUS in May, the beach adjacent to Naxos' port town, St. George, is shallow & swimmable early. Great for hikes, drives & bus rides thru mountain villages (also good all-day bus tour); a fertile green island, in May local fruits & veggies abound. Ancient history all around. No cruise ships/package tourism. Go now before it changes!

PAROS - Almost as interesting, port town not quite as lovely, a bit harder to reach places via bus, but many charms. I Looove staying in Antiparos, just a wee 10-minute ferry away.. totally walkable island, a world apart.

SIFNOS - Perfect except for being hard to reach via ferry! Great hikes; good bus system ; stay in hilltop villages & bus to beaches. Charming doesn't begin to describe Appollonia-Artemonas-Ano Petali ... hilltop necklace of white "cube" homes.

SYROS - The "Big Must" is its stunning Port with Amazing Square & Hilltop skycape. Mediocre beaches, NOt an artsy isle at all, business-oriented, 99% Greek tourists, u feel isolated, ignored; enjoy port town & leave.

Posted by
1157 posts

You've gotten some pretty good advice.

Here are my recommendations:

Fly to Astypalea and experience of one Greece's most under rated and nicest island with probably the most beautiful Chora in the Aegean. Very Greek, laid back, not touristy, some of the best Greek Food I've ever eaten in the town square before entering Chora.

Take the short ferry ride from Astypalea to Amorgos and you'll find another Greek Island Gem with some of the loveliest Greek Villages in the Aegean, the World Class Hozoviotissa Monestary in an unbelievable location and awe-inspiring sites. Quiet off-season beaches, some walk-in only, archeological sites of Minoa and Agia Triada, rural areas, lots of goats and sheep, spectacular mountains, vistas and views and a perfect location of Katapola to stay with some of the best Greek Tavernas in the Islands.

Tinos and Andros are a great combination of islands or Tinos/Syros would be better. Tinos is a hidden gem with some of the most beautiful villages of the islands. The western part of the island offers some of the most spectacular mountain roads anywhere . . . just beware of the goats, hawks and head-turning views!

I could go on-and-on regarding Greek Islands and/or the mainland.

Do your research, don't accept travel agents or web sites' versions of Greece. The Over-the-Top Islands can be spectacular but just how "Greek" they are could be compared to how "American" is Disneyland?

Posted by
3320 posts

Tommy I agree that the 2 you've described are terrific --- however, on May 1, both will be far from open ... I went along with several on her list because they have big year-round populations and thus will have things going on (and all tavernas & hotels open) in Early May.

Posted by
1157 posts

Janet: OK . . . I can see your point. While I travel to Greece in October after the High Season I've found many islands/mainland areas still up and about and serving the public, whether it's tourists or locals.

I can't speak about travel in May since I've never been there. I wish I could go early Spring but due to our Greenhouse/Nursery business back in the States we are busy non-stop selling plants and have to wait for late Sept. & October which for us turns out to be a very wonderful time to travel to Greece. As I've mentioned here and on other forums, it offers lower prices, less tourists and still nice weather.

Maybe I'll get to Greece in the Spring rather than early Fall in the future but for now late Sept.-early Oct. has worked out for us and we have found it a wonderful time to experience the more traditional Greece with better opportunities to interact with locals rather than tourists!

Posted by
3320 posts

Tommy, that's exactly why May is so wonderful ... the crowds haven't arrived yet, more locals than tourists around. The difference from Fall is that in May, the Greeks aren't "burnt out" from dealing with (often rude) High Season Mobs, and also, as you as a nurseryman will appreciate, May is so much Greener. Rains are gone but shrubbery & plantings still lush...whereas in Fall, after 4+ months with almost no rain, the landscape can be brown & dusty. I will concede that swims in Sept-Oct are superb since the sea has had all summer to warm up. Also, In May-June I feel I get a bargain -- 1 1/2 days for every day because sun doesn't set until nearly 9, and it's light until 9:30. However, I honor you for going whenever you can, and when you're finally retired, like me, you will have all 12 months to choose from. I enjoy your posts, & your appreciation of so many isles. Have you tried Samos yet? There's a gem overlooked by most Americans!

Posted by
1157 posts

Janet, I am retired from my long-standing job with our states' Dept of Agriculture, but with our mini-business of a greenhouse/nursery we are busy from February all the way through to late Sept. with staring seeds, selling plants, Farmers' Market, etc. So while I am "officially" retired from a full time job I am still "working" at a job that I love, provides us with extra income to pay bills, taxes, going out to eat and do a little traveling.

I know Spring in Greece is wonderful but Fall is not bad at all. Bouganvillia are in full bloom that time of year all over Greece and figs, citrus, pomergranits are ripening, along with avocados and other vegetables/fruits.

The Aegean is still warm and perfect for swimming. Back home in the northeast US going for a dip in the Atlantic is like stepping into a freezer . . . albeit with some wonderful Indian Summer weather which I'm sure you are aware of, the water is not inviting. Even during the summer the Atlantic ocean temperature here is not conducisve for long dips!

Many times while in Greece during late Sept.-early-to-mid Oct. we see locals still gardening and/or planting for the fall crops. Back home everything has been killed or greatly affected by frost!

I have often thought about retiring to Greece . . . lovely year-round weather, a L-O-N-G growing season, still going for a swim well into the fall in the Aegean and not having to deal with feet/meters of snow, freezing temperatures and having to dress like I'm going on an Arctic Expedition just to get the mail!

I can dream can't I?

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you ALL for taking the time to help me. Your comments and experience are very much valued. I hadn't realized how much off season early May is. I checked for flights to Astpalea (which sounds wonderful) but Aegean only flies there from July 1 through September 30. I need to take a break for the July 4 holiday but I will then do more research on your other suggestions and will perhaps have further questions. I so appreciate your input.

Posted by
15582 posts

Take a look at the RS tour itinerary. I took that tour this year, beginning April 24. The weather was gorgeous, the Peloponnese is wonderful, lots of ancient sights, charming villages and blue, blue seas. The weather was on the chilly side at the beginning, well, chilly for me, meaning I was comfortable in long pants and closed shoes. Toward the end of the tour, I was crossing the street to stay in the shade. The water is cold that time of year. Lots of people do go in the water but none stay in more than a few minutes at a time. The water does warm up as the days go by, but so do the air temps. It's a toasty 107F today in Athens. It certainly didn't feel like "off-season", more like shoulder season, with everything open, a goodly number of tourists, but no crowds. Oh, did I mention all the wildflowers?

Posted by
3 posts

Hi friends ~
Well, here I am in October still trying to sort out our trip to Greece. I have so many questions to ask you who have had so much experience in this country. First, we are willing to rent cars when necessary but really don't want to have a car in a congested, difficult to navigate place. So, I would love your advice about several places. First, in Crete, we are planning to fly into Hania from Athens and leave from Heraklion. Auto Europe indicates that the fee to drop the car at the different location is $58.00 so that seems doable. We'd like to hike the Imbros Gorge as Janet has suggested. I am wondering if we can do without a car for a couple of days in Hania and then if you think that the driving south and then over to Heraklion to see the Archaeological Museum and the Palace of Knossos is manageable. Is this something we would do in a day trip or do we stay somewhere down south on the way to Heraklion?
After Crete we are wanting to go to a few islands. Janet has said that Sifnos is hard to get to but I think I see that SeaJets goes from Folegandros to Sifnos daily at 13:30. Do you think I am reading this wrong?

If we decide to go to Nafplio at the end of the trip and take the bus there and then rent a car, how complicated is the driving to the archeological sites? We have been to Athens more than once and would really prefer to avoid it altogether. I know that we should get onto the mainland from the islands at least a day ahead of our flight which is why I am considering Nafplio at the end of the trip.

We are planning to stay at the hotel near the airport the night before since our flight is at 6:30 am. I am wondering if we have to go into the city to get the bus to Nafplio or can we get it somewhere near the airport?
Thank you so much for your expertise and help.