Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Advice

How does this itinerary look? Is it doable? I'm questioning the Hydra bit a little, would it make more sense to go somewhere else instead of going back into Athens. I've heard a mix of reviews on Hydra, but RS really promotes it as a must see.

May 21 Arrive Athens from Rome (spending a week)
May 23 Fly to Santorini
May 25 Ferry to Naxos
May 27 Fly to Athens -> Ferry to Hydra
May 30 Ferry Athens
May 31 Fly Home to US

Thanks!

Posted by
3317 posts

RIck steves constantly promotes Hydra because some of his tours include it, his tours include no other isalnds, and also it is an easy island to tack on to the beginning or end of his tours that are all-mainland. In my humble opinion, it is promoted for those reasons, not because it's a must-see. Of course, if you didn't have an opportunity to go to ANY island, it would be OK to pick one that's in the Saronic bay, (altho I'd choose Aegina, closer & more of interest). But it would be far more rewarding to spend 2 additional days in Naxos, AND an additional day in Athens... the cradle of Western Civ!

Posted by
2492 posts

I agree with Janet. We had 4 nights in Naxos and would have loved to have had more.

Also consider going to santorini first and visiting Athens at the end. It is an hour from airport to city center so more efficient. You currently have 3 nights in Athens which is what we had but you will have more sightseeing time if you do it altogether at the end.

Posted by
1366 posts

Is this a plan or have your got flights booked already. I asked that because you are spending too much time hopping and will be in Athens too m any times as your jumping off point.
So if you have not booked your flights yet fly Rome to Santorini. There is a direct flight and I think Aegean may have recently added more capacity.

If you are going to the Cyclades Islands there is absolutely no reason to visit another island near Athens. You will get your island experience on Santorini and Naxos. So drop three nights Hydra and add them to Santorini and Naxos.

Leave a minimum of two nights in Athens to see all the important sites.
Here is what you will see.
Santorini http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/sets/72157632154800782/
Naxos Town http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/sets/72157632094558042/
Trip around Naxos http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/sets/72157634605629689/
Naxos sunsets https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/albums/72157700728046481
Athens http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/sets/72157632121475515/

Posted by
610 posts

I went to Hydra on the RS Greece tour and agree that it is likely included as an easily accessible island experience if your trip is mainly to the mainland. I loved Hydra, but I don't think it would have been at all necessary if I had visited other islands on the trip. And three nights would be too many for me, we stayed for two nights and it was plenty. I also think your time would be better spent dividing those days up amongst your other stops.

Posted by
22 posts

We booked our flights from Rome to Athens already and looks like they are non-refundable. Would it make sense to have a layover at the airport then flight to Santorini or spend three days in Athens fly to Santorini ferry to Naxos then fly or ferry back to Athens? Seems like we can remove Hydra from the plans and spend 7 days in Santorini and Naxos.

Thanks!

Posted by
2492 posts

For me, it would depend what time I was coming in. If late in the day, I would stay night at/near airport and fly to Santorini. If early or mid day, I would do Athens first, then after that fly to Santorini, ferry to Naxos, and I would fly back to Athens and spend that night at/near airport. Either way, I would go into Athens only once.

Posted by
22 posts

Our flight arrives around noon.
What about this option?
Three days Athens, ferry to Naxos, ferry to Santorini, fly to airport stay the night close to the airport.

Posted by
3317 posts

You are still wasting too much time in transit for such a very short stay in Greece ... 2x in Athen area, also, doing a FERRY to Naxos taking most of a day ++ (when u count checking out of hotel 6a m, getting to Piraeus, boarding ferry /sailing from 7:30AM- 12:45, disembarking/getting to hotel, checkin in =7.5 hours!!) ... also Athens is a busy bustling city just like rome, will you feel energized to plunge into sightseeing after checking in to hotel at 3 pm May 21, going to Acropolis etc etc? I wonder. Doing islands first is a much better intro to a country, have your 1st sunset overlooking the sea ... slower pace, get used to Greek ways, revitalize, be ready for Athens at the end (also... after being immersed in Greek history etc for a few days, Athens landmarks & treasures resonate MUCH more. Believe me, from experience, traveling with newcomers during 9 of my 12 trips).

My suggestion:
• May 21 arrive noonish, take Aegean flight 15:15 (3:15 - 3:55) To SANTORINI -- you're in luck!! it's €86+, GRAB IT!! Many hotels pick u up at airport, plenty of time to check in, maybe have a quick dip (if yur budget stretches to a pool hotel) and find a nice restaurant for drinkies, food & view of sunset, it's not until 8:45 or so (NOTE: do NOT subject yourself to sunset in OIA, it's a zoo -- we can recommend many wonderful spots to sip and gaze serenely, elsewhere).
• MAY 22 - 23 -- Santorini
• May 24 - 10:45 AM take CHAMPION Fast-ferry (rear deck allows lovely departure view) arr NAXOS by noon!
• MAY 24 Afternoon + May 25 - 26 - 27 - Naxos.... swim, hike, drive or bus thru dramatic landscapes, explore port town etc
• MAY 28- 10:25 Flight NAX - ATH arr 11:10 (€80-- but its 45mins vs 6 hours ferry!! dont wait - these smaller planes fill up FAST) - Taxi to Central area hotel check in by 12:30, ready to explore Athens!
• MAY 29 - 30 -- Athens landmarks, museums, food, nightlife
• MAY 31 -- Flight home

Posted by
2492 posts

I think you will be happy if you do what Janet suggests. I would only take a ferry between islands on a short trip. We took a flight a couple hours after arriving from US to santorini and then flew back from
Naxos. I think that is the way to go.

Posted by
258 posts

Janet et al correct except we used the Blue Star ferry Santorini to Naxos. Lv 1530 arr 1730 with a short stop in Ios. The bus to the ferry (starting at the main station in Fira) is cheap if crowded. Did not see any one taxi able to accommodate your group. The trip DOWN the cliff side by vehicle to the new port is a memorable experience. Naxos dock is at main part of town. Naxos airport is easy taxi ride from town.

Posted by
11160 posts

Hydra is nice, but as you will have been to 2 other islands, it is unnecessary to go Hydra.

Posted by
3961 posts

I would also concur with Janet's recommendations. We used her tips in 2017. Everything was spot on!! Although we visited Hydra on the RS tour, we found that Naxos & Santorini gave us a unique island experience. We spent a glorious week in Naxos & 4 nights in Santorini. Hands-down, NAXOS was our favorite! Our favorite guidebook was The Rough Guide to Greece.