Please sign in to post.

Hydra

When staying is Athens, is Hydra worth an overnight or 2 or better as a day trip?

Posted by
1726 posts

Just to know, have you a particular reason to go to Hydra?

Posted by
7010 posts

We did two nights on Hydra and I just loved it. It's not an island known for beaches although there are a some small beaches, just not in Hydra town. You can hike to a swimming beach or I think there are boats that will take you to beaches on the far side of the island. Hydra is beautiful and there are a couple of places to visit including a monastery. We stayed in Hydra town and one evening we hiked over to Mandraki for dinner and watched the sunset over the harbor there, it was beautiful. There are shops and art studios if you like that - I'm not a big shopper but did pick up a couple of memorable souvenirs on Hydra, including an original framed batik print from the artist. I found Hydra to be a nice relaxing stopover.

Posted by
1151 posts

Hydra is lovely with one of the prettiest waterfronts and the village cascading down to the harbor.

Not known for it's beaches or archeological sites as it's more of a hang out type of island especially along the waterfront.

Some hiking and walking but there is another island closer that has everything one would want in a Greek Island.

Check out Aegina which is larger, more villages, archeological/historic sites and lots more.

Nothing wrong with Hydra but Aegina may be a better option.

Posted by
3311 posts

OTher reasons to choose Aegina -- Hydra is only available via closed-in ferries with no decks, and salt-rimed windows, no view. .. and unless you're a hiker or like to sit on donkeys, on Hydra you're pretty much limited to walking up/down port promenade. Aegina not only a shorter sail (about 1 hour) but if y ou choose the right boat -- a "conventional" ferry -- you can sit on an open deck and enjoy the seascape all the way... giant cruise ships, freighters, sleek racing boats, 3-masted schooners, tiny sloops, gulls etc. Also, if you're not an avid hiker, Aegina offers transport options (altho island doesn't have busy traffic) -- car rental, busses, ATV, and now "e-bikes" which are cycles with motor-assist for slopes. TIP - because in warmer months, Aegina is a favorite "getaway" for Athenians on weekends, choose a weekday for your visit if possible.

Aegina has an interesting port town, with a tiny ruin right by the ferry & little museum (its highlight = huge "Alladin-size' storage pots). For an enjoyable visit, you can take a bus, or dri ve/cycle main road into central island, maybe stop at impressive monastery en route, then hilltop Temple of Aphaia (gorgeous! 360° view!)... downhill from ruin (if hiking there's a shortcut) you reach beach v illage of Ag. Marina for lunch & a swim if desired. With car or ATV, other beaches can be visited. Later in afternoon, return to port town -- its fun to wander its small back streets & browse local groceries & home product shops to see Greek items. Finally, before your ferry ride back sit in a seaside cafe & have an adult beverage at sundown. You'll be surrounding mainly by Greek-speakers.

Here's a wonderful photo-sequence of a June daytrip, including the ferry rides - http://www.flickr.com/photos/36264706@N03/sets/72157621604646139/detail/

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you! I will have to find our more info on Aegina - transportation details and sights to see.

Posted by
11027 posts

Aegina vs. Hydra

No right/wrong answer. Depends on what you are looking for.

If you want a break from touring the 'historic sites' and want a quiet Greek Island village, then Hydra is the better choice.

If you choose Hydra, do try to spend at least one night. On the RS tour we did 2 nights and it was a very pleasant change of pace.

Posted by
1151 posts

If you decide on Aegina or Hydra try to go during the week to avoid weekend crowds.

I did a day trip to Hydra from Tolo (near Nafplio) and it was indeed very nice but not as much to do as on Aegina.

I only did a day trip to Aegina a few years back and was very impressed from what little I saw.

I vowed to go back and am planning on during so this early October.

It's has more to offer than you think.

Here's a great website for Aegina:

https://www.aeginagreece.com/aegina-island/