Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Athens

We are traveling to Greece in late October and early November. We would like to stay in the Plaka area in Athens for three days. My husband likes the looks of the hotels Athenswas, New, and Electra Palace. Has anyone stayed in any of these hotels or have other recommendations? Thanks for your help.

Posted by
175 posts

We did not stay at the hotels you named but with stayed at The Achileas Hotel in Plaka. From the outside the hotel looks very old and tired. The inside is small, but price is very reasonable and the location is walking distance to EVERYTHING. There is even a restaurant on the corner that is opened very late and the food is awesome. The hotel includes breakfast, which is full breakfast with hot and cold dishes. I highly recommend it. The staff is super nice.

Posted by
464 posts

We stayed at the AthensWas hotel in May and really enjoyed the location. It is on a lovely shaded pedestrian street only 1 block from the Acropolis Museum and 2 blocks from the Acropolis. We had a suite with a balcony which was very nice. It is near to the Plaka area and there are also restaurants on Makrigianni St. nearby that we enjoyed - Arcadia Restaurant, and Yard All Day Restaurant. We did an outstanding early morning walking tour of the Acropolis with Athens Walking Tours and it met right next door at the Fresko Yogurt Cafe. It was also easy to walk to Syntagma Square and see the changing of the guard from this hotel. We would recommend the AthensWas hotel.

Posted by
11131 posts

The Plaka is the area of Athens we avoid staying. Tourist central. Why does your husband want to stay there?
We had a HORRIBLE experience at the Electra Palace, avoid it..

Posted by
3317 posts

AthensWas is in a GOOD area, south of the acropolis, just right on the pedestrianized promenade there... SO close to landmarks, but no traffic whizzing by the door I would recommend it, or other 2-3 in area: Hotel Herodion, Hotel Phillipos, Hotel Airotel Parthenon (the last one about 100 yards from AthensWas, no roof terrace)... Electra Palace IMHO not worth it, ever since Rick Steves started recommending it 20 years ago as a "moderate" hotel its rates went up up up... many better choices now. Y es it has a pool on roof but Huge price to pay, and unless u are in Athens in July-August, why? swim everywhere else, and in Athens go to sites & museums.

Posted by
83 posts

I'd like to tag onto this thread if it's OK. What about a nice Air B&B in a great location in Athens that others here have stayed in and would stay there again?