Please sign in to post.

Hotel Recommendations

I'm on the RS tour to Greece. The originating hotel in Athens wants a very high price for one day (I like to arrive a day early). Any recommendations about a nice hotel in downtown Athens?

Posted by
77 posts

The first (and last) hotel on my RS tour a couple weeks ago was the Hotel Hera. The RS tour rooms we had were not as nice as the standard rooms which were a bit better and more comfortable (real shower and bathroom) and larger room/bed. Note that the RS tour rooms are not serviced during your stay and the other standard and above are. I also did not like that I had to physically checkout of one room (at 11 AM) and couldn't check back in to the new room (before and after tour) until 3PM which was kind of a hassle with the Bags. That said the hotel held our bags and moved our bags into the new room while we were out.
But the The Hera is indeed in a good area for general access to the sights.
We also stayed at the "Hotel New" which was more toward Syntagma. We liked that hotel better, but I can't say it was cheaper (rates varied and I used Marriott Miles). It was probably about about a 15 minute walk with bags.

All in all though if you stay at the Hera your life will be easier and more convenient if you just stay there, but I'd book at least the standard room and not he RS tour rooms.
FYI, we loved the tour and you will have a great time.