Please sign in to post.

Honeymoon in Greece

Dear fellow travelers,
my husband and I plan to visit Greece this summer for our honeymoon, as we are vaccinated. Any suggestions about which locations to visit? We plan to stay for 2 weeks.
Thank you
M.

Posted by
6113 posts

Greece can be very hot in the summer, so I would opt for the Ionian islands which usually have a slightly cooler breeze. Greek ferries run regular services between the islands, but be prepared for strikes, which are not uncommon!

It’s your honeymoon, so I would opt for a far more relaxed schedule than any tour itinerary.

Posted by
4212 posts

There are a gazillion options--in fact it kept me from visiting Greece for years because I felt paralyzed by the overabundance of choice. What kind of things are you interested in? If it is a typical honeymoon island trip, then I would start by comparing the qualities of the different island groups. If you are history buffs but also like a bit of nature, I would suggest the Peloponnese. If you want to keep it simple but get al of the above, then Crete. If you want a bit more off the trodden path, then I would look at northern Greece.

Posted by
2462 posts

As Jennifer noted, ferry strikes can happen and happened to us on our visit three years ago.

Crete is an island option that is large enough to amuse you for two weeks with beautiful beaches, mountains, and historical sites. You could rent a car and have a lot of freedom.

Posted by
1016 posts

I've got 3 suggestions for you:
1. Hydra is Greece's most amazing island. Traffic free, but convenient to Athens by ferry.
2. Meteora is Greece's less discovered gem. I mean less discovered compared to the islands, but we so enjoyed our stay in Kastraki, up in the hills among the sheep farms. And the monasteries are everything they are cracked up to be.
3. Put Santorini at the bottom of the list, then move it to a separate list, then burn the list. Overpriced, overcrowded and little more than drunk kids racing ATV's all over the roads.

Posted by
39 posts

Dear Margaret,

Your question is too general. Can you tell us your interests in order to give you proper suggestions? The month of visit would help a lot too.
Regards,
George

Posted by
1335 posts

Bear in mind that Crete is very hot (even for Greeks!) in summer. ALso, hotels that are suitable for honeymoons in popular islands, such as Santorini and Mykonos, will cost an arm and a leg. I checked prices for Santorini for this summer and they are still high, despite Covid.