Please sign in to post.

Hike from Fira to Oia

We will be in Santorini the first week of June next year on a Greek Isles cruise. I'm wondering about the hike from Fira to Oia. We are 48 and 52, very active and in good health (I teach fitness classes). It sounds like something we would like to do, but Rick's travel guide says it takes four hours and is strenuous. Has anyone done it that can give advice? Does it really take that long? Was it worth it? Thanks!

Posted by
78 posts

I did this hike in mid-June last year from Firostefani to Oia in about 2.5 hours. I hike fairly quickly, I'm your age, and I'm a bit out-of-shape & overweight, so if you teach fitness classes, you are certainly in better shape than me. Fira's about 15-20 minutes further, so I'm pretty sure you can do the hike in under 4 hours unless you stop way more than me for pictures.

I didn't do a cruise so I don't know the details of getting from the ship to the island and back, so I can't tell you for sure if you'll be able to get from ship to island, up to Fira, hike to Oia, bus back to Fira, back down to port and to your ship, in the amount of time you'll have in Santorini. Maybe someone who has done such a cruise can chime in.

The hike is great.

Posted by
2505 posts

We hiked the other way from Oia to Fira the last week of May. There were 7 of us from twenties to fifties and none of us had any trouble. It is a hike on the last part (or first for us) not a walk but as long as you are up to that it is not that difficult. It took us somewhere between 3.5 and 4 hours but that was with tons of pictures and we stopped at the snack bar on the way for awhile and had refreshments. It would probably be 2.5 hours without all those distractions.

We had lunch in Fira and took the bus back to Oia.

My husband and I wore hiking boots (I have weak ankles and appreciate the extra support). Our kids and my brother in law all wore sneakers.

It simply was the most beautiful hike I have ever done and all of our favorite thing we did on Santorini.

Posted by
175 posts

We did the hike from Oia to Fira last year in August. It took us about 3 to 3.5 hours like others said. We stopped and took tons of pictures. This is a hike not to be missed. We were staying in Oia and had the caldera view the entire time but the view you get from the hike is truly remarkable. There is a cafe between Oia and Fira that you can grab something, but we stopped by a bakery early in the morning and got some drinks and pastries. I would highly highly recommend that you do this like 7 am in the morning before the sun is strong. We took the bus from Fira back to Oia just like the previous person said. The hike is not hard at all, there are parts that you climb but I would say it sounds like you are in shape to do this. Just a warning that there is a part that you are hiking by the main road. Have fun and you will certainly be happy you did it. BTW we are in our late 30's.