Please sign in to post.

Help on Greece Trip

Hello,

I am planning a trip to Greece. I am following a Bible Tour itinerary I found pretty closely.
I will have a car and be driving to these places.
For those that have been before I don’t know how long each site takes to see. I am wondering if it is possible at all to combine any of these days. Mainly, I would love to have a full day in Thessaloniki instead of having to drive there on the 11th.

Suggestions?

1. May 6th
    a. To Do
    i. Fly in
    ii. Arrive 1120AM May 6th
    iii. From Aiport 1 hr to get into town
    iv. Maybe explore Athens depending on time/energy
    v. Sleep in Athens

2. May 7th
    a. To Do
    i. Acropolis The most important ancient sight in the Western world, where Athenians built their architectural masterpiece, the Parthenon.
    ii. Ancient Agora Social and commercial center of ancient Athens, with a well-preserved temple and an intimate museum.
    iii. Temple of Olympian Zeus Remains of the largest temple in ancient Greece.
    iv. Mars Hill Historic spot — with a classic view of the Acropolis — where the Apostle Paul preached to the Athenians.
    v. Panathenaic (a.k.a. "Olympic") Stadium Gleaming marble stadium restored to its second-century A.D. condition.
    vi. Corinth

3. Visit the Ancient Market and the Bema of Apostle Paul

4. Visit the commercial town of Corinth and

5. The Apostolos Pavlos (Apostle Paul) metropolitan church
    vii. Sleep in Athens

6. May 8th
    a. To Do
    i. Athens to Delphi 2.5 hrs
    ii. Visit Castalia Spring
    iii. Visit at the archaeological site and view the monument of the Argive Kings,
    iv. The treasury of the Athenians, the Athenian Stoa, the Polygonal Wall, the monument of Platea and the Temple of Apollo famous for its oracle and Delphi museum,
    v. Visit Byzantine Monastery of St. Loukas..
    vi. Sleep near Delphi

7. May 9th
    a. To Do
    i. Delphi to Meteora 3hr 15min
    ii. The Holy Monastery of Great Meteoro
    iii. Great monastery of St. Stephan
    iv. The rocks of the Monasteries
    v. Sleep near Meteora

8. May 10th
    a. To Do
    i. Meteora to Fillipoi 4hr 20 min
    ii. Visit the ''Baptismal'' site,
    iii. Visit Acropolis of Filippoi,
    iv. Visit the theatre
    v. Basilica and the prison were Apostle Paul and Silas where thrown.
    vi. Sleep near Fillipoi

9. May 11th
    a. To Do
    i. To Thessaloniki 2hr
    ii. Vlatades Monasety
    iii. Go to orthodox church of St Paul
    iv. The Rotonda
    v. St Demetrius Basillica

10. Underground ancient crypt

11. The Acheiropoietos Church
    vi. Sleep in Thessaloniki

12. May 12th
    a. To Do
    i. Maybe explore a bit more
    ii. Fly out May 12th 250PM SKG

Posted by
172 posts

You have a very ambitious itinerary. Driving in Greece usually takes much longer than the google map estimates and parking is often non existent. A car in Athens is a liability. Please take a taxi from the airport to Athens and around the city sites. Pick up a rental car from Athens to drive to Delphi. If item #4 is the city of Corinth then it’s at least an hour drive from Athens and you need an extra day. All the archaeological sites you want to visit are spectacular but far apart. If you haven’t bought your tickets yet consider adding 2-3 days. The whole trip will be much more pleasurable.

Posted by
11183 posts

This is the preamble to the time in Italy with the 8 & 10 yr old kids?

I sure hope they are used to that pace of travel.

Looking forward to a report in June. Hopefully I will be in error about my misgivings of your fast paced travel.

Posted by
3320 posts

If you are basing your hugely-ambitious itinerary on a Biblical tour, you are being unrealistic in the extreme. Such a tour depends on having a chartered BUS, and an experienced guide aboard, to rush you thru these sites one after the other. It is not physically possible on May 7 to hurtle thru 4 or 5 Major Athens landmarks and THEN cover Ancient Corinth, which is at least 90 minutes away from the Edge of athens, in a tour bus driven by an experienced tour driver ... and THEN cover Corinth city itself. Completely impossible -- reveals lack of research, instead just taking ideas off a printed brochure. Cannot imagine how to counsel you on a forum such as this, which is designed to help people with details, not lay out a total plan.