Please sign in to post.

Greek islands 2018

Hi, we are a family of 4 (2 kids will be 8 and 4) heading to Greece for 6 weeks- July/Aug next year. We love private villas, nice views, away from the madness but close enough to drive to when we want it. We have one kid with Aspergers so we are looking for easy travelling and quieter beaches with English speaking kids. Our itinerary so far (subject to changes you advise)
Athens 4 nights
Mykonos 3 nights
Naxos 4 nights
Paros 3 nights
Santorini 2 nights
South west crete 4 nights
Rhethymon 22 nights (fly home from Crete)

Is this a good/bad itinerary for our family. We are open to any suggestions. we are going to book Airbnb's with 3 bedrooms, ac and pool on every island. We will try to rent a car as much as possible. Our budget per night is approx €100 for accommodation which I think is doable as we don't mind being away from the towns.
Tia :-)

Posted by
3122 posts

Take a look at Mykonos Thea. It's removed from the insanity of Mykonos Town and there's a semi-private beach as well as a pool.

Posted by
3320 posts

Glad to hear that you are thinking far ahead ... the more advance planning, the better the experience. However, even "away from the towns", in High Season I wonder greatly about getting THREE bedrooms WITH pool for €100. There may be some lower rates at places that are inland, and not near scenery or public transport, but these very usually require a stay of more than 2-3 nights; a week is much more typical for such. Have you found evidence on AirBnB so far, that this is do-able? You may want to consider whether you could work with 2 BR, and a livingroom that has a foldout couch or 2, or 2 daybeds.

Also I'm wondering why -- after the hop-hop-hop of the first half of trip, you plunk for 3 whole weeks in Rethymnon. Is there a bargain Airbnb that requires a 3-week stay, that you just couldn't resist? If not, then I sure would recommend More time in Naxos and Paros (and perhaps make the latter Antiparos, certainly more "away from the madness").

Posted by
5262 posts

I did initially query the potential for finding three bedroomed, AC equipped villas with a pool for €100 in peak summer months however a quick look on Airbnb did produce some, I'm guessing the Greek economy is helping! However many of those that I did find appeared to be not the most desirable (personal opinion obviously).

I also wondered why the long stay in Rhethymon!

Posted by
91 posts

My reaction was that's a lot of travelling, with kids maybe too much moving around. When moving islands you will need a couple of hours to get to port, check-in, wait, get off port at the other end etc, as well as the ferry time, often waiting outside in the heat of the day, often busy, cramped, hectic. In others words, each journey will take at least half a day & quite a lot of energy.

Please be very careful when using airbnb - this year huge amounts of people in Greece have jumped on this bandwagon, getting income from previously empty family properties. Some are not nice, ill equipped, not in touristic locations, poorly furnished etc. I have had 2 airbnb experiences this year in Crete, both fell strongly into this category, but we could laugh about it & have fun whereas I'm not sure a family with kids would find it funny (eg outside steps with no handrail, no light, in the middle of the night to get to the bathroom)

You may like to look around the Almyrida area in Chania region, Crete; fills your requirements & has many family villas for rent - look at sites like homeaway, owners direct, owners abroad etc. Plenty of places nearby for days out, could be more comfortable for you (& your child with Asberger's) than constantly packing & unpacking.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks for all the replies. We have found quiet a lot on airbnb that suit our budget bar on Mykonos and santorini but we expected that- we are willing to be flexible on the pool and extra bed for short stays to stay within budget.
The long stay in crete is purely for relaxation after a hectic 2 weeks. However since reviewing our itinerary again from your advice, we may skip some islands and fly to some further ones instead.
I haven't narrowed down on this yet but I had chosen the Cyclades as I thought it was the easiest but I now think it's pretty stressful and working out more expensive than I had thought as the ferries are pricey.
What do U think of flying between the bigger islands (Athens> zante> crete> Rhodes> Athens) or some version of this and do day trips to close islands? We want to see islands but we also love to really get to know a place, that's why we had over 3 weeks in Crete. I don't think u really see anywhere in 2 days. But that 2-3 weeks of chill time is essential to recharge the batteries before we go back to another long year at work.

I'm getting such conflicting advice on every forum, I'm more confused now than when I started!

Posted by
91 posts

Of course we all have our favourites, so you will get conflicting ideas! But pick out the bits that 'speak' to you & seem personalised for you.

You are right, the ferries can be quite expensive. How about flying to Athens, then doing ferry to Paros &/ or Naxos, then to Santorini then to Crete for your long stay, flying home from Chania? These are quite easy ferry rides, on fast ferries, modern & comfy. I can't see that Mykanos fits your family's brief. & I don't really think Santorini does either, but it is unique & beautiful.

Once in Crete you could easily have a few days along the South-West coast, including Sougia, Hora Sfakia, Loutro etc. if you wish & many lovely day trips - personally I find Western Crete the most picturesque, with great beaches, lovely little holiday villages, the beautiful White Mountains, & a large number of unspoilt tiny old villages. Chania itself is lovely, with its Venetian harbour. On the West are the famous beaches of Falasarna, Balos, Elafonisi. I'd recommend staying in Apokoronas (Kalyves, Plaka, Vamos, Almyrida etc), all are little Cretan villages with tourism, rather than the strip heading West of Chania (Platanias, Maleme etc) which are hotel resorts with little tradition or ambience.

If you want to 'do' Knossos & the main Minoan sites then you'd need to spend time further East.

Posted by
332 posts

As a Special Education Teacher I can speak to travel with a child who has specific needs, and since I've been to Greece recently I have some insight. Not knowing your child at all, I can assume fairly high functioning (since you said Aspergers and not Autism). However, that seems like an awful lot of movement (islands and air travel) for a child who is probably very uncomfortable with change. Santorini is crazy busy and there are no real "quiet" beaches. Naxos has large beaches with plenty of space to be separate from the noise and crowds, yet close enough to meet other kids for play. Athens is a city and comes with crowds so no way around that. If your child has not flown before I would recommend taking them to the airport just to see what it's like and to have that experience before flying. I know Alaska Airlines has programs in the US for kids with Autism to (fake) go through security, board a flight, and hear the sounds of the engines simulating take off and landing. This eases fear before they fly. Also, take a note from the doctor outlining the diagnoses. Perhaps you can skip the security line or ease though it quickly. Let the flight attendants know and maybe those around your seat, in case a problem arises. If you think the movement around is too much then maybe consider only one island, like Crete. In any case, you know your child best and what they can and cannot handle. Janet on this site is THE person to ask for questions. She has a wealth of knowledge. Matt Barrett's site also has good information.http://www.greektravel.com/greekislands/
Good luck with planning and have fun on your trip!

Posted by
3320 posts

Julie gives wise counsel. I've learned about Aspergers traveling (a friend of mine ran bus tours in Greece for Asperger teens). The one thing she said was MOST important to comfort level (and these were teens, high-functioning) was not too much change, and having predictable routine. Your schedule does not seem to allow for that -- especially with choices listed & going at Height of High Season. Even w. lodgings "away from the towns" -- in order to do fun stuff, you must cope w. crowds. AND (very importantly) transferring from one island to another will involve lots of luggage, standing on crowded ferry piers, rushing with crowds into ferries and scrambling for seating, and ditto on disembarkng. BTW, boarding a Blue Star Ferry at the Santorini pier in high season is a mob experience I would not wish on anyone. It's taxing enough in May or September. If you DO visit & leave Santorini by ferry I recommend the new Large CHAMPION Jets, all-reserv seats. Of course, they are more expensive than the Conventional ferry ... but you can perhaps save by skipping Mykonos. So you want to cut down the number of destinations on your wish list.

ALso, It appears you're trying to plan a long trip with special requirements, and budget limits, before doing adequate research. Browsing Airbnb for nice apartments doesnt tell what u need to know about each area. U need detailed & CANDID guidebooks, NOT just the web. Many websites motive is maximum visitors, so they omit drawbacks & realities. A good guidebook must be more truthful and candid or it loses readership. Hi the library for ROUGH GUIDE to GREECE -- also if you can find it, a back copy of GREEK ISLAND HOPPING. Very detailed & truth-telling about travel in the crowded high season. Among the Choices you list that reveal information shortfall:

• MYKONOS & SANTORINI - in High Season hugely expensive, very crowded. In Mykonos, even if far from a beach, when u DO hit the beach, a sunbed & umbrella can cost €20+ (as opposed to €5-7 on other islands). And in the afternoon do your kids like to drink & dance on tables? As for Santorini, no decent beaches -- all about the view; and pool hotels in July are €€€.

• You speak of flying between islands, but there is virtually no such plane service. There is ONE airline, Sky Express, that does go between a FEW islands (i.e. Crete to Rhodes). but they have tiny planes, you are only allowed a 15-lb or so carry-on, and a checked bag of the kind u will be bringing would cost €25-50 EACH if indeed the airline even allowed u to check them. so you see, you need to know what is possible... and that needs reliable research. About Zakynthos, it's nowhere near any of the others and in high season has an overload of package-tourism, to boot (they are the ones who call it Zante; the greeks hate that UK nickname).

• CRETE - you chose Rethymnon for a long stay for the purpose of "chill time" to recharge. Rethymnon is a major crete city, its Old Town is much smaller than Chania's Old town (and narrow streets get absolutely choked in hi season). It does have a loooong beach stretching East for a mile or so from town center. However this beach is lined with large-ish convention-type hotels, and I don't know if it's the refreshing, laidback atmosphere you envision. Have u googled any Rethymnon scenes? If you want relaxtion on the North Shore of Crete, I can suggest a very moderate-price FAMILY accommodation Just outside of Chania with a lovely pool that is a block or 2 from a nice beach, and NOT in the middle of a row of noisy holiday homes.. it has 1 BR apts (with liv room sleep-sofas), w. kitchenettes for self-catering, and right at the door is the local bus to Chania in 15 minutes http://www.lefka-apartments.gr

• NAXOS and ANTIPAROS are ideal for your family ... and both offer day excursions to other places.

Posted by
6 posts

My kid will not have any issues travelling during high season, we have done this a lot and it doesn't faze him- he's very high functioning but he likes to meet English speaking kids on the beach. I have been doing a lot of research online but theres so much conflicting advice it's hard to tell what's a good fit.
I will order guide books once we have 100% decided on greece but for now it's just checking to see if it's suitable and I'm leaning towards not for a full 6 weeks, seems like it will be too busy to really do/see anything. We are just back from 4 week trip of Israel, Cyprus, London and we had no issues with crazy crowds although it could be busy at Weekends on the beaches so we toured these days. This trip suited us perfectly.

Posted by
3320 posts

Why not go to the Library to check the books I mentioned? Wouldn't cost you a cent ... and then when/if you decide on greece, you can order a book (and used on Amazon UK can be cheep-cheep). Don't hold off on reliable nonbiased information to save a few pence.

Posted by
106 posts

Hello,

In Greece you can find plenty of family-friendly places, where you can have relaxing and calm holiday.
My suggestions are the following...
1. Rhodes
2. Crete
3. Zakynthos
4. Lefkada
5. Naxos
6. Kos (nice & quite)
7. Samos (nice & quite)
8. Chios (nice & quite)

The top 5 get pretty crowded during high season.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks we did a lot of research and decided to avoid most of those islands due to high crowds and high costs when we wanted to go. So now we are doing athens, the peleponese and kefalonia for 4 weeks- hiring a car to make getting around easy. Thanks for all the help :-)

Posted by
4156 posts

I'm a broken record about this, but many people have not traveled where they cannot flush used toilet paper down the toilet. Greece is one of those places. The sewage systems are inadequate to the task.

When renting an apartment, you will likely be responsible for dealing with it. If someone forgets and flushes, you could have a much bigger problem than having to dispose of it in the garbage.

As someone else mentioned, an Airbnb in Greece may be a disappointment. I rented our first in Athens in 2014. The experience was unpleasant enough that I swore I will never go through Airbnb again. That was confirmed recently by information on these forums that said Airbnb had the highest prices for the same places of any other listers. Owners often put their rentals on multiple listing services.

There are many resources to search for self-catered lodgings. Not previously mentioned is Booking.com. You can limit to the property type you want and do the normal filtering. Filtering by Star Rating is useless. Use Review Score instead.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks lo, we are used to travelling in countries with older sewerage systems so that’s no problem. We have used a combo of Airbnb, booking.com and ownersdirect- we always read the reviews, study the pics (and request more) and ask lots of questions. Hopefully we have made good choices but it’s always a risk that booking something privately will not be as advertised. On the whole though we have been more disappointed with hotels than any Airbnb and villa we have booked abroad, we don’t expect hotel standards at a private rental- as long as it’s clean and corresponds to the photos then we are happy!

Posted by
1117 posts

So now we are doing athens, the peleponese and kefalonia for 4 weeks

Wow - that's quite a change from your original plans. :-)

If you ever consider island hopping again and have an incredible six weeks for a vacation, why don't you plan a whole week for each island? That would certainly give you less "madness" and more time to relax and explore.

looking for easy travelling and quieter beaches with English speaking
kids.

I think you'll have to do some really good inquiries if you are looking for beaches with English speaking children the age of your children. I'm not sure why, maybe we never were there during peak vacation season, but actually we never saw many children that age at all, much less many English speaking ones. Mostly young adults and older adults.

So, do some good research on where you'll find the kinds of beaches you are looking for.

Posted by
6 posts

Yeah I was not 100% set on the original itinerary- just looking for ideas on what to expect and I think this suits us better- we may have to compromise on the English speaking kids but we might be able to use some kids clubs in hotels. It’s all booked now so we will see how it goes, thanks for the advice