Please sign in to post.

Greek island

My husband and I are in our early sixties and we travelled to Santorini, the Pelopenese Peninsula as well as Athens in 2016. We loved Greece and would like to return this September. We were thinking about Crete as a choice. We are looking for small charming villages, good hikes, beautiful scenery and sandy beaches, authentic Greek food, art and historical sights. Do you think Crete would meet our criteria? If so, what airport would you suggest flying into that is closest to what I have described? We will have a car. We are flying in and out of New York City. Any suggestions of don't miss places would be helpful. I am hoping Sept. is a good month for sunny weather and swimming there. Thanks so much for your input

Posted by
11156 posts

Fly into Chania, Crete. Chania is a charming and historical small city with remnants of it’s Venetian and Tirkish conquerors.
From there you can tour western Crete with it’s beaches and historical sites. There are many excellent places to done on excellent Greek food, lots of seafood and wonderdul Greek salads.
Look at Elafonisi and Falasarna beaches, Samaria Gorge, villages like Douliana and Vamos.. Georgiopolis. Take a day to visit Knossos in Heraklion. Consider an overnight on the southern coast in Loutro.