Please sign in to post.

Greek Easter

We are invited to celebrate Easter with our friends in

Nafplio. What would be an appropriate hostess gift?

Posted by
11180 posts

If your friends lived in Chicago, what sort of hostess gift would you bring for an Easter celebration there?

Posted by
186 posts

Flowers and chocolates/candy selection, especially if they have children. A bottle of wine, these are the things for a usual host gift. If you would like to give something extra special to the hostess, then a small gift for the home would be appreciated (nice hand or dish towel, a small appetizer bowl, etc.) nicely wrapped.

If they are Greek, they might greet you with the expression "Christos anesti" (Christ is risen) and your reply should be "Alithos anesti" (Truly he is risen).

Posted by
15584 posts

Metaxa, a Greek variety of cognac with an orangey zing, is gaining wider appreciation. Compared to humble ouzo, Metaxa is the king of Greek liquor.

Some on our RS tour noticed that our guide enjoyed it so they took up a collection and gave our guide a bottle as token of our appreciation. She was overwhelmed.

Posted by
37 posts

Hi Karen,
My wife and I are currently in Nafplio on a RS tour at the Marianna Pension...a wonderful Inn.
I just asked the local brothers who own the Inn.
Chocolate if there are kids involved...a nice bottle of wine would be well received...as would chocolate.
Enjoy...it’s a beautiful small town!