Please sign in to post.

Greek Easter

My husband and I will be in Greece during their Easter celebration. We will not be spending Easter in Athens or the islands.Does anyone have a suggestion about where to spend the Saturday night and Easter Sunday? We know this is a solemn season & we are not Greek Orthodox. We want to be sensitive , but we are interested in cross cultural experiences. We will have a car.

Posted by
3320 posts

As the other person said, you can participate in the church part by just going to the nearest church on Saturday night ... it's dark and solemn and then at midnight, the priest's candle is used to light all the others, and people stream out of church the dark streets are full of candles ... very festive. But as for Easter Sunday, it's all about feasting with family, and those of us where are visitors could feel left out. They're all roasting lamb on a spit in their courtyards, and singing and dancing and having wine ... and most of he restaurants are closed. If you have no obvious way to wangle an invite.... You need to find out what arrangement your hotel can offer for guests -- perhaps they have a dinnner, or can direct you to one. It's not a day to sit in a deserted cafe and order lunch for 2.

Posted by
91 posts

Great descriptions above.

Big Friday is a sombre day, it's a day of mourning & villages will be quiet, however in the modern cities shops are open in the mornings at least. There is a lovely tradition in villages which you would be welcomed to join in - a procession around the village boundaries with the Epitaphos (funeral bier), usually dressed in flowers, where the priest blesses each junction & people walk along behind. At midnight on Big Saturday many places have a huge bonfire outside the church, or in the village square, with fireworks but be prepared to be shocked at the complete lack of 'health & safety' measures. & then many people go to the nearby taverna for a traditional meal - again only for brave tourists, as it's sheep intestine soup, rather an acquired taste.

In places with tourism you'll find tavernas open on Easter Sunday with whole barbequed lambs, but probably best to look around the day before & book. Expect Monday to be very quiet, all shops shut.

Posted by
7544 posts

I would try to figure out where you will be and make your arrangements early. Since it is Family centrist there is a lot of movement of people, so some hotels may be sold out, other areas almost dead, not really the typical pattern. You have your own car, but public transport can get crowded before and after the weekend as well.

Posted by
7354 posts

Thank you, everyone, for your helpful information! Jwugg, to help wash down lamb intestine soup, how early in the day is it socially acceptable to start drinking retsina? :)

Posted by
3320 posts

Cyn, you don't have to drink retsina at all! In America, Greek restaurants have foisted retsina on the public as the "authentic" drink -- when in fact, it's a strictly local taste, you almost never see it on menus outside of Athens. THere are wonderful white wines: I think the best come from Santorini -- very lively & citrusy -- and my favorite RED is Nemean red, rich & fullbodied. Almost anywhere you go, at the casual restaurants (they're called Tavernas, you know, the red-check tablecloth type), they have a good House wine... if they say "barrelled wine" it's the local wine. Ask for a taste, and if you like it, order it (It will be Cheap - €4-5 a liter), or if you don't like, then u can order from their bottled shelf. Retsina, with that Pine-Sol taste, is so over.