Please sign in to post.

Greece July 2023

In 2020 we were all booked to take our adult children to Greece for the first time. Their grandparents are from a small mountain village near Argos, they passed away several years ago here in the U.S. We are going in July and so far I have an Airbnb booked near Argos in the middle of an orange orchard for the first 7 nights. I need to book a place for the last 3 nights. The first week we will be visiting the village, Argos to do some family history research, Naplio, Tolo beach, Mycenae, Epidaros, Nemea and anything else anyone can recommend. My husband and I were in this same area 22 years ago. Names of restaurants, beaches, sights, experiences near by etc. Our last 3 nights we want to spend visiting Corinth and Athens, but we don't want to stay in Athens. Our flight is at 11am, so we feel like we can stay about an hour away from the airport, my husband is pretty great driving and navigating because he is fluent in Greek. I'd like to stay somewhere pretty and maybe oceanfront or just special for those last 3 nights. I have heard from a cousin that places along the coast just north of Corinth are nice. Any information is appreciated.

Posted by
3320 posts

A good start on doing your research might be a thorough study of the superb website - http://www.visitnafplio.com/ This comprehensive NONcommercial website, by an expat who's lived there for 20 years, covers ALL aspects of Nafplio (sights, dining, shops, walks, activities) and much much more, covering the entire Argolid area -- click EVERY link! You'll find clear descriptions & assessments of ancient sites, beaches, walks, villages, markets... more more more. That way you can come to us with some discoveries you've made & ask our opinions about choosing.

Posted by
207 posts

You're totally on top of things.

Corinth and the Gulf of Corinth are both incredible. Corinth is not my first choice of places to stay, though, but you should visit the castle and the ancient site there.

In addition to what you've listed I would also add Mystras as being within range of a day-trip from your orange grove, a 90-minute drive from Argos.

West of Corinth is the fascinating train ride from the coastal town of Diakopto up to the mountain town of Kalavryta. While we stayed on the coast (and made friends!) I also wish we had stayed a night or two in Kalavryta; pretty place with some powerful history (Nazi massacre, famously).

Depending on how far you wish to roam, continuing clockwise from there you could visit Nafpaktos, a gorgeous historic port town on the north coast of the gulf and around to Galaxidi, Delphi, Arachova, etc.

Gonna be great!

Posted by
61 posts

All good ideas! Mystras is a place recommended by a cousin who went there after many years of visiting the area.