Please sign in to post.

Greece Itinerary Review

Hi,

We plan on taking our trip to Greece (finally) after having to cancel due to Covid.

Would anyone be so kind to let me know if my itinerary sounds good? It is just my husband and I, (about 60 years old) and love the outdoors. (I am a photographer so the more scenic areas to visit, the better.)

USA to Athens fly to Santorini - Thursday, 4/21/22 - 4/25/22 - 4 full days
Santorini to Paros Tuesday, 4/26/22 - 4/29/22 - 2.5 days
Paros to Mykonos Friday, 4/29/22 - 5/1/22 2.5 days
Mykonos to Athens Sunday, 5/1/22 - 5/4/22 2.5 days
Flying back home. Wednesday 5/4/22

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Posted by
2922 posts

Can you fly into Santorini from the US? If your flight to Athens requires a connection check to see how convenient and the cost of flying into Santorini instead.

Posted by
1353 posts

Well you have chosen highlights but Greece is a place that is better done slowly with less hops so one can really have a more in depth experience.
Personally I would do 3 days in Santorini because that's all my budget can take.
I would drop Mykonos. While it is quite nice it has marketed itself as a high end jet set destination so you are paying Santorini prices for an island that is not better than Paros.
Add that time to Paros and perhaps another day in Athens.

Having said that your plan works logistically as all these islands are in the same island chain with relatively short ferry hops. You probably should consider flying from your last island to Athens because thats about a 5 hour ferry trip. Check Aegean/Olympic or Sky express.

Posted by
84 posts

Thanks Mary Pat...didn't even think of flying directly to Santorini. Unfortunately, that is a 33 hour total travel time so that won't work. Thanks for the idea though.

Posted by
84 posts

@stanbr
Thank you for those thoughts.

I'm thinking the main reason I want to go to Mykonos is the take photos at Little Venice. Maybe I could cut a day out of Mykonos.
I will re-evaluate my itinerary.

Thanks so much.

Posted by
3311 posts

YOu cannot fly direct to Santorini (or ANY Greek Island) from N. America. Fly into ATH then take a domestic flight to Santorini. The other alternative is to fly to another European capital, and from there, get a flight to Santorini. As it turns out, this alternative does not u sually save y ou either time or Money --- unless it enables you to use "points" to get free or reduced tickets.

I agree with the others ... drop Mykonos. There are many more beautiful photos than "little Venice." Paros will be full of flowers in the countryside in APril & early May. And do NOT overlook Antiparos!! it is a little heaven ... tiny pier, with ferry that tootles over from Paros in just a few minutes ... a lovely "Agora" market lane that's lit up in the evening like a fairyland ... walkable from the pier to a charmng NONcommmercial beach -- https://antiparos.com/explore/psaraliki-beach/ --so shallow u might even be able to brave a dip in late April (since you're from Chicago and have braved Lake Michigan!) Here's a Stanbr album of Antiparos' charms - https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr54/sets/72157632126687570/

Posted by
84 posts

Thank you Janet for your detailed response.

After reading responses I will drop Mykonos. My plan is to fly from Athens to Santorini and then go to Paros and back to Athens now.

Thanks for sharing you photos! Beautiful!!!

Posted by
3311 posts

You're welcome! But I can't claim the pix -- I just borrow them from better photographers, like stanbr, who knows how to capture things so well, I do try to give him credit for his snaps, as well as his so-sensible advice.

Posted by
11053 posts

We enjoyed staying in Naoussa on Paros. We spent a month in Greece on that trip and Paros was at the top of our favorites.

Posted by
84 posts

@suki

Thank you! I have us booked in Naoussa...that looks lovely!