Please sign in to post.

Greece itinerary help

I would appreciate comments from people who have visited Greece regarding my itinerary. I am open and flexible to making any necessary changes. I would appreciate hearing about good day tours in any of the places I will be visiting too!

I will be visiting Greece for the first time in middle of July. I am a quiet solo female traveller who is not into the nightlife.

I will be spending 8 days in Chania, Crete (July 14-21).

Then onto Santorini (Perissa) for 3 days (July 26-28). Initially I was going to go from Chania by bus to Heraklion, then ferry Heraklion to Santorini. But now think perhaps to fly Chania to Santorini instead. Is this a better idea? Problem is, now I have a gap (July 22-25) that needs to be filled due to this change in plans. What to do and where to go? Any suggestions? Or perhaps keep with initial Chania-Heraklion-Santorini plan?

I will be spending 8 days (July 29-August 4) in Naxos. I was thinking to island hop (day trips) from my base in Naxos, to Paros, Mykonos, Delos. Good plan?

Then fly from Naxos to Athens- August 5-8.

Thanks so much for your help!

Posted by
1580 posts

Chania - The gap between Jul 22 to 25, you can spend those few days in Sitia Greece off the coast then fly out from Chania to Santorini. Sitia is a lovely town.

Naxos - Yes you can base there and day trip to the cities you mentioned

Posted by
172 posts

Greece is my favorite country. You will have a great time however your itinerary works out since you are visiting the best islands. 8 days is good for Crete but too much for just Chania. Heraklion is not the most beautiful city but it has an excellent archeological museum and the ancient site of Knossos is only a few kilometers away. Knossos is well worth visiting and you won’t have trouble finding a bus or day tour to get there.

Everyone has there own travel style. Mine is 3-4 nights in each place ideally. Consider 5 nights in Chania and 3 nights in Heraklion. Personally I would probably stay 4 nights in Chania, 2 nights in Rethimno and 2 nights in Heraklion. Rethimno is a smaller city with a nice beach and a beautiful Venetian castle. The fast ferry from Heraklion to Santorini is pleasant.

Three nights in Santorini is perfect.

I would suggest 4 nights in Naxos and 4 nights in Paros. Beautiful beaches. Just relax and be there rather than do day trips. Mykonos is a crowded party island.

Posted by
2125 posts

I think 8 nights is a little long for Naxos for a first-time visit, when you could be experiencing so many other places.

If you have not yet purchased your plane tickets from Naxos>Athens, change Naxos to 5 nights. Use one day to day trip to Mykonos/Delos. And then rather than day tripping to Paros, spend your remaining three nights there (or even better, on tiny Antiparos). Check out the Lazy Day with Captain Ben cruise around Antiparos.

If you HAVE already purchased your plane tickets from Naxos>Athens, I'd ferry to nearby Amorgos for 3 nights. You can still fit in the Mykonos/Delos day trip. I think Amorgos would give you an interesting change from the larger islands you're seeing. It has two ports -- I loved Katapola, and stayed in a lovely pension right on the harbor called Porto Katapola. Amorgos is a lovely little island. One highlight is the amazing Hozoviotissa Monastery, carved into the side of a cliff. Great little restaurants, lots of great walks.

Posted by
887 posts

If you are interested in the archaeological sites of Crete try and go to Phaestos from either Chania or Heraklion. It is another excavated great palace site but without the heavy restoration of Knossos. You could either rent a car and drive there or I expect there are trips out of both cities. Sites within Chania include thr archaeological museum, a Small but an interesting collection in a lovely old church. The market for great souvenir shopping, also Cretan cheese, raki, olive oil, soap etc, the mosque if the Janisseries, now an art gallery, located by the harbour. Try and get up to the site if Aptera, archaeological record dating back 3500 years and a stunning view over Souda Bay, you may need to rent a car. Finally visit the Naval museum in Chania. Interesting displays about the long
history of the harbour and how it developed, also has an important display relating to the Battle for Crete in 1942 and the occupation and resistance that followed

The archaeological museum in Heraklion is stunning and not to be missed. A lot of people diss Heraklion, I actually enjoy it whenever I visit. And of course it’s closeness to Knossos and other sites is in its favour.

Posted by
3 posts

Santorini and Mykonos are great if you want lots of activity, nightlife, live DJs, and packed clubs. If you want a quieter island in the peak season Naxos, Folegandros, Milos, Sifnos, Antiparos, and Ikaria are wonderful choices. And also this site https://aktis.app/en and information is unbelievable. Best I have ever read!